Instructor /Assistant Professor of Biology
Job Description Summary
Tenure-track faculty position in Biology at a multi-campus institution in the University System of Georgia with primary teaching responsibilities to be located in Douglasville GA. Teaching load is the equivalent of 30 semester hours across fall and spring semesters. Reporting to the Academic Dean of Natural Science and Physical Education, the faculty member’s primary responsibility is preparing for and delivering instruction, in addition to service to the institution through participation in advising, committee work, and assessment activities.
Georgia Highlands is a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for the individual selected to grow with us. With a focus on employee wellness and development, the culture is warm and embracing, while the work is fast paced and challenging.
This is an excellent opportunity to impact the lives of literally thousands of students and their families.
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a master’s degree in a course of study related to the occupational field and 18 credit hours in biology.
• Experience using classroom and laboratory technology.
• Experience instructing in a laboratory setting.
• Previous teaching experience preferred.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia.
• Teaches 30 credit hours or equivalent per academic year as assigned (day, evening or weekend) at one or more of the Georgia Highlands College locations
• Adopts and implements common course objectives as required by the division and discipline
• Manages courses through systematic use of appropriate syllabi and accurate, professional records of students’ class performance, attendance and grades
• Announces and keeps regular office hours, dedicating 10 hours (or more) per week to assisting students
• Maintains involved and knowledgeable participation in academic advising of students as required by division
• Offers professional assistance in curriculum development, review, and instructional materials selection
• Participates in the extended work of the college through participation in committees of the college or faculty, student organizations, and attends division meetings, full faculty meetings, town hall meetings, in-service training, and graduation
• Engages in functions of evidence-based academic and program assessment, as required for accreditation, college compliance, and continuous review and improvement of student learning outcomes
• Demonstrates meaningful service to the community and to the profession
• Pursues continued professional development in academic discipline, technological applications for the classroom, and innovations and enhancement in teaching and learning
• Performs related duties
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of Board of Regents policies
• Knowledge of University System of Georgia policies
• Knowledge of institutional policies and procedures
• Knowledge of college human resource policies
• Knowledge of course scheduling procedures
• Skill in the preparation of clear and accurate reports
• Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions
• Skill in oral and written communication
Special Instructions To Applicants
Attach unofficial transcripts with the application. Official transcripts will be required upon offer of employment.