Advancement Communications Writer
Now is the perfect time to join St. Lawrence University in Canton, New York, as we enter the planning stages for the largest comprehensive campaign in our history. Reporting to the Associate Vice President for University Advancement, the Advancement Communications Writer is responsible for writing and editing print and digital communications targeting donors, prospective donors, alumni, parents, and friends of the University. These communications are designed to elicit advancement support for the University’s comprehensive campaign, which includes annual giving. This position supports major and principal gift officers by writing and editing gift proposals and stewardship materials, and works closely with Editorial Services in University Communications to produce periodicals such as the annual Leadership Donor Report, the annual giving calendar, and postcards.
If you enjoy collaborating in a higher education environment to support the advancement of a liberal arts education, and you are seeking an opportunity that is both challenging and rewarding where creativity is appreciated and innovative ideas are respected, we invite you to apply.
- Write and edit brochures, feature articles, newsletters, stewardship materials, gift proposals, annual reports, direct mail content, web content, and other communications.
- Develop supplemental materials such as biographies, backgrounders, and executive talking points, scripts, and presentations.
- Collaborate with University Communications to manage the production calendar and produce materials on time and on budget.
- Partner with the University Photographer, the Video Producer, and the Director of Creative Services for visual communications.
- Coordinate with major and principal gift officers to develop and implement content strategies for reaching donors and volunteers.
- Interview donors, faculty, and students for writing assignments, as well as other alumni, parents, and friends of the University as needed.
- Ensure all communications produced adhere to University brand and style guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Writing, Communications, or a related field required.
- A minimum of three years of experience writing professional fundraising communications or other relevant work experience required.
- Master’s degree and experience in a higher education or other non-profit setting preferred.
- Experience developing content and communications for donors.
- Experience writing for multiple platforms, including print, email, web, and social media.
- Understanding of higher education advancement campaigns and fundraising communications strategies.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills; an aptitude for collaborating with others.
- Meticulous attention to detail including proofreading and excellent grammar.
- Working knowledge of editorial style standards (AP Style and University Style) and copywriting techniques.
- Ability to balance multiple deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Interested applicants must apply online at http://employment.stlawu.edu uploading all required materials which are defined in the “special instructions to applicant” section. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.
St. Lawrence University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information about St. Lawrence, please visit http://www.stlawu.edu.