Political Science Instructor
Political Science Instructor
State Center Community College District
Closing Date: 4/9/2017 at 11:55 PM
Campus Location: Fresno City College
Start Date: 08/10/2017
- Include teaching courses in American government (including information on California state and local politics);
- Teaching other courses in political science;
- Teaching evening and/or weekend classes and large group instruction classes as needed;
- Serving on college and district committees;
- Course development, program review and developing and assessing student learning outcomes to improve student learning; and
- Otherwise fulfilling all of the duties and responsibilities of instructors as required by Administrative Regulation 7122.
- Include a master’s in political science, government, public administration, or international relations; OR
- Bachelor’s in any of the above AND master’s in economics, history, social science, sociology, any ethnic studies, JD, or LL.B; OR
- A valid California Community College Credential; OR
- The equivalent education and/or experience (requires an equivalency).
All applicants must have demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
NOTE: If the degrees posted on your transcript(s) do not match EXACTLY as stated above, you MUST petition for equivalency.
- Include a master’s degree in political science;
- Breadth of teaching experience in political science; experience teaching at the post-secondary level;
- Experience teaching courses in legal and judicial reasoning;
- Experience in identifying and remediating knowledge and skills deficiencies;
- Experience with educational technology (computer, interactive video, smart podia, etc.);
- Certificate to teach in an on-line or hybrid environment;
- Experience in working with students of various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students and staff;
- Related work and professional experience; and
- Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth.
Conditions of Employment:
177 duty days per year.
Salary and Benefits:
Starting salary is $54,029 - $81,342 based on education and experience. A doctoral stipend of $2,021 is available. In addition, the District offers an attractive fringe benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for the employee and dependents, and life insurance. Employees are also members of the California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS).
Applications will be screened to determine which applicants meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement. From the applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and who have submitted all the required documents, a selection committee will determine the candidates who are best qualified based on the minimum and desirable qualifications. They will be invited to interview. The selection committee will rate responses to the interview questions, teaching demonstration, and writing prompt (if applicable). Based on this rating, a small number of applicants will be selected as the “recommended candidates”. These candidates will be forwarded to the Vice President of Instruction and College President for final interviews. A hiring recommendation will be made by the College President and forwarded to the Board of Trustees of State Center Community College District for final approval. State Center Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. It is our pledge to treat all applicants fairly and equitably in the recruitment and selection process. We endeavor to be a service-minded organization and respond to the needs of our applicants. For more information, contact the Academic Human Resources Office, 1525 E. Weldon Avenue, Fresno, California, 93704, (559) 244-5900. For information on Fresno City College or State Center Community College District, visit our website at www.scccd.edu. Please refer to Position No.2870. Submission of application and related materials is the applicant’s responsibility and must be submitted through the district’s online applicant portal. The District reserves the right to re-advertise or to delay indefinitely the filling of a position if it is deemed that the applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available. All application materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for disqualification or discharge from employment.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: www.scccd.edu