Admissions & Records Specialist
Admissions & Records Specialist
Monterey Peninsula College
Salary: $2,656.00 - $3,401.00 Monthly
Location: Monterey, CA
Job Type: Classified
Department: Student Services
Job Number: 2016-00135
PRIORITY SCREENING DATE, APRIL 2, 2017
Under direct supervision, plan, coordinate and participate in a variety of responsible, technical and clerical duties related to the Admissions and Records Office. Receive limited supervision within a broad framework of standard policies and procedures. Exercise good judgment and tact; provide information on college policies, procedures, standards and requirements where applicable; establish and maintain good public relations with staff, students and the community at large.
Example of Duties
• Process outgoing student transcripts.
• Review and certify transcripts and permanent record cards for accuracy, grade changes, repeats and credits; interpret admissions and records policies, such as course repetition, incompletes, applications, residency and registration, and apply them in a variety of procedural situations.
• Perform a wide variety of clerical, administrative support and technical activities for the Admissions and Records Office.
• Act as a resource for information to students and the public relative to all college Admissions and Records policies, requirements and procedures.
• Provide information and assistance in person and over the phone to students, staff and the public related to college functions, procedures and policies.
• Determine admissions and residency status for students.
• Assist students and the public in understanding and applying information contained in the college catalog, Schedule of Classes, and other publications and/or news releases.
• Interpret, advise and/or assist students concerning graduation and Certificate of Achievement requirements, course evaluations and equivalencies, Add/Drop forms, withdrawals, refunds, K-12 Concurrent Enrollment Forms, grade changes, incomplete grade forms, challenge courses procedures, veteran attendance statements, and student data changes.
• Distribute, receive, and crosscheck Class Rosters, final grades, and positive attendance forms.
• Register students; troubleshoot on-line registration with students; register contract and off-campus students as batch registration.
• Check and review a variety of data for completion and conformity with established rules and regulations.
• Account for all monies received for fees, non-resident tuition and transcript requests.
• Design and use databases and spreadsheets.
• Distribute, receive, review and process census and drop lists from faculty.
• Maintain files and records requiring the use of discretion; prepare records for microfilming and imaging; check and file microfilm records.
• Prepare reports and summaries, gathering source data as necessary.
• Perform other duties related to the business of the department as assigned.
• Participate on committees as required.
• Train and monitor the work of part-time and student employees, where appropriate.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education, experience and training which would indicate possession of the required knowledge, skills and abilities listed herein. For example, completion of approximately one year of college level course work in office administration, personnel administration, or a related field, and two years of responsible office experience; ability to communicate in languages other than English desirable.
Knowledge of: general functions, policies, rules and regulations of a community college; current office methods and practices; public and human relations skills; letter and report writing; word processing and spreadsheet programs; mathematical computations; public and human relations skills.
Ability to: understand and independently carry out oral and written instructions; prioritize tasks and do several tasks simultaneously; learn and successfully apply Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) rules and regulations (confidential data); apply office policies, procedures, rules and regulations; use good judgment; analyze situations carefully and correctly and adopt an effective course of action sometimes without immediate supervision; use diplomacy, tact, friendliness, poise and discretion; understand and apply information in the College Catalog and Schedule of Classes; communicate effectively in both oral and written form; use appropriate and correct English spelling, grammar and punctuation; perform arithmetical calculations with speed and accuracy; use word processing accurately and proficiently word processing, spreadsheet/database programs as required to fulfill the requirements of the job; learn and successfully use new software programs as needed to fulfill the requirements of the job; use efficiently various kinds of office equipment; establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties; demonstrate an understanding of, sensitivity to and appreciation for, the academic, ethnic, socio-economic, disability and gender diversity of students and staff attending or working on a community college campus.
• Previous experience providing customer service.
PHYSICAL EFFORT / WORK ENVIRONMENT
Sitting/operating computer keyboard to enter data into a computer terminal for extended periods of time as necessary. Light to moderate physical effort; occasional standing or walking; periodic handling of lightweight parcels up to 15 pounds. Indoor work environment.
WORK SCHEDULE/ SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION
40 hours per week/12 months per year
Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM or 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Management reserves the right to change schedules as needed.
(STEP A) 2,656 – (STEP F) 3,401+ GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE (no additional costs for benefits)
Monterey Peninsula College provides eligible employees with valuable benefits options, including medical, dental, vision, life/AD&D and long-term disability. Monterey Peninsula College is a PERS employer.
How to Apply
Select "classified and other positions." Here you will find the announcement and the "apply" button in the upper right hand corner. You will be asked to log-in or create a new user account.
For more information regarding the position please contact,
Human Resources Specialist
• Complete all required fields of the application AND:
• Attach a .pdf of your cover letter which describes your interest in and qualifications for the position. AND
• Attach a .pdf of your resume AND
• Answer any required supplemental questions, if prompted AND
• Any certificates related to position
• Copy of valid California's driver license
Only items listed above will be reviewed by the screening committee. Human Resources does not accept additional materials such as: letters of reference, test scores from other institutions, certificates of courses/programs completed, letters of commendation from schools, or transcripts with your application. Such items, if included, will not be forwarded to the selection committee. If you are a finalist, HR will request any reference information that is required.
Monterey Peninsula College reserves the right to close or continue the recruitment at any time.
Conditions of Employment
Employment with Monterey Peninsula College is not complete or official until applicants meet all pre-employment requirements. Prior to employment, the selected candidate will be required to complete the following. All new employees are required to submit official transcripts, Risk Assessment or verification of a negative TB exam, proof of fingerprints taken via Live Scan to the Department of Justice, and proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Offers of employment are contingent upon Governing Board approval.
The District is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of qualified applicants. The policy of the District is to encourage applications from all persons. No person shall be denied employment because of ethnicity or race, color, sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, medical conditions, status or protected veteran status.