Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The Department of Bioengineering at the Anschutz Medical campus is seeking applicants for a full time Professional Research Assistant (PRA) / Laboratory technician position. The successful candidate will work on projects investigating the pathogenesis and prevention of ventilator-induced lung injury.
- Develop, conduct, and assist with experiments related to the pathogenesis and treatment of ventilator-induced lung injury (~80% time)
- Mechanical ventilation of rodents to generate injury and measure the physiological effects
- Tissue dissection and preparation for microscopy
- Quantitative brightfield and fluorescence microscopy; morphometric analysis
- Analysis of physiological and structural data
- Identifying and implementing newly established techniques to achieve project goals
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the laboratory (~10% time) including ordering supplies and reagents, scheduling equipment usage, overseeing upkeep, and performing scheduled equipment maintenance
- Administrative duties (~10% time) will involve satisfying the requirements of university regulatory bodies, establishing cost-effective solutions for new and ongoing projects, and providing budget information for current and future projects
- Successful candidates may have the opportunity to develop their own research projects related to the overarching goals of the laboratory
- BA/BS in biological sciences or physical sciences (e.g. biology, pathology, bioengineering, chemistry, etc.).
- Willingness to work with and handle animals and animal tissue
- Excellent communications skills
- 2+ years experience in biomedical lab research
- Experience with immunofluorescence, tissue processing for light microscopy, microtomy
- Laboratory management experience
- Experience mechanically ventilating rodents
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 8814
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 30214 - ENGR-Bioengineering
Posting Date: Mar 13, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Bradford Smith, PhD
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00704475