Laboratory Technician 1
Working Title: Laboratory Technician 1
Position Type: Hourly Wage
Department: Department of Cell Biology
Posting Date: 03-13-2017
The Department of Cell Biology at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville seeks a wage Laboratory Technician 1 to work up to 30 hours per week. The duties of this position include performing and analyzing experiments to include PCR, primary cell culture, transfection, Western blotting, mouse embryo harvest and tissue processing, immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence microscopy, and image analysis that have been designed in collaboration with other laboratory members, including the principal investigator. This position will also be responsible for maintaining an accurate written record of experiments and results, and presentation at laboratory progress meetings. The individual also contributes to general lab maintenance, e.g., setting up equipment to be used in the lab, cleaning instrument components, preparing solutions, and maintaining and ordering lab supplies.
High school diploma or equivalent and at least one year of laboratory experience obtained at the bench are required. Student experience may be considered, and a Bachelor's degree in science may substitute for experience. The ability to work a flexible schedule is required.
This is a wage position limited to 1500 hours per year and is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of funding.
Applicants should complete a staff application through the Jobs@UVa website and provide a cover letter, CV, and a list
of three references. To apply visit jobs.virginia.edu and search for posting #0620529.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of basic laboratory procedures involving cell and molecular biology and willingness to learn and apply new approaches.
2. Ability to work with animals.
3. Ability to do sterile cell culture and maintain experimental cell lines.
4. Excellent writing and communication skills sufficient to keep an accurate record of experiments performed, and ability to discuss methods with other lab members.
5. Ability to follow set lab policies and procedures and regulatory guidelines.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=81344