Lead Line Cook
Highlands Ranch Golf Club is an 18-hole, semi private golf club featuring a Hale Irwin designed championship golf course. The course, which opened in 1998, features a great variety of immaculately groomed holes. The 7,179 yard, par 72 layout boasts expansive bentgrass greens that many say are the best in the region. The Highlands Ranch Golf Club is a part of the Division of Athletics & Recreation of the University of Denver.
The Lead Line Cook is responsible for leading and managing the back of the house food and beverage operation for the golf club in the absence of the Director. The position is responsible for servicing all customers within the golf club and also maximizing the profit within the food and beverage operation. The position also ensures that the kitchen, bar and restaurant facilities meets and adheres to all codes and licenses and that all presentation of facilities, food and beverage are presented in a quality way.
Food & Beverage Operations
- Daily food service operations in order to provide quality products including: menu evaluation, purchasing, inventory, receiving, food preparation, control and storage.
- Maintain and implement sanitary and food safety conditions and training to adhere to auditing procedures and statutory regulations.
- Accountable for the execution of product and service quality by maintaining highest level of delivery.
- Maintain kitchen and storage facilities to meet/exceed sanitary conditions; monitors internal quality assurance and food safety audit process (including HACCP record keeping).
- Monitor quality and consistency in menu items.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Provide team leadership by ensuring cohesiveness and service excellence.
- Manage by providing positive and constructive feedback to employees in order to reward, coach, correct and motivate.
- Supervise day-to-day work, prioritizing activities.
- Provide team leadership in management of kitchen and storage facilities to meet/exceed sanitary conditions; monitors internal quality assurance and food safety audit process (including HACCP record keeping).
- Provide training to all staff on service excellence, food preparation and delivery.
- Other duties as assigned.
Budget & Business Plan
- Maintain food costs, inventory and waste.
- Prepare all the food items as directed in a sanitary and timely manner.
- Follow recipes, controls, portion and presentation specifications as set by the restaurant.
- Assume 100% responsibility for quality of the products that is served.
- Follow proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Handle, store and rotate all the products properly.
- Assigned to prepare dishes for costumers with food allergies or intolerances.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, product calibration and percentages.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization may exist.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or schedule form.
- Ability to communicate with customers and potential clients in a constructive and optimistic fashion.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to execute and plan special events.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends.
- 5+ years of food and beverage work experience.
- 3 years of work experience in a golf course, upscale dining, banquet, special event planning and production setting.
- Food Safety Procedures training and certifications.
- Purchasing, inventory control, costing and menu development, and culinary skills.
- Culinary degree or Hospitality certification(s).
- Bilingual in Spanish.
Flexible schedule including nights and weekends.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please click New Resume/CV at the bottom of the page to begin application. If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Spenser Rikhoff at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.