Campus Public Safety Officer Level 1 - Full-time
Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Campus Public Safety Officer supports learning by handling emergency situations and enforcing George Williams College of Aurora University policies, and federal and state laws as they apply to the campus community. Supports the Campus Public Safety mission by utilizing a community policing philosophy and works collaboratively with all members of the campus community to maintain a high quality of life. Work under the direct supervision of the Chief/Director of Campus Public Safety.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Handles all emergency situations arising on campus, ranging from personal injuries, fires, threats to individuals, and all other crisis situations.
- Enforces all applicable and appropriate federal, state and local laws, and University policies.
- Reports all security and safety violations, and hazards. Reports incidents of misbehavior to proper campus authority; serves as a positive role model for students; provides general campus supervision.
- Provides visible patrols of the campus to deter crime and maintain a high quality of life on campus.
- Provides assistance and direction to campus visitors and guests.
- Exercises physical control only to the extent reasonably necessary to maintain order, protect property, protect the health and safety of students and faculty, or to maintain proper and appropriate conditions to learning.
- Responds when Physical Properties or other appropriate personnel are not available for any other emergency circumstances.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements:
- High School diploma required. Associate or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Prior experience in higher education preferred.
- Prior experience in a community based public safety environment preferred.
- Knowledge of campus regulations in connection with student conduct; laws pertaining to juveniles; the effects of alcohol and controlled substances on behavior.
- A working knowledge of appropriate federal, state and local laws including the Campus Security act of 1997.
- Ability to work cooperatively with faculty and staff.
- Ability to interpret rules and regulations.
- Ability to enforce rules and regulations firmly and fairly.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to write reports and maintain appropriate documentation according to departmental standards.
- Minimum 21 years of age.
- Valid driver's license.
- Available to be called in to work or held over until released by the Chief/Director of Campus Public Safety or his/her designee in emergency situations.
- Ability to work any of the three shifts.
- Able to pass a thorough background investigation.
- Ability to walk for extended periods, stand for extended periods.
- Ability to move about campus on foot at a rapid pace.
- Ability to run up stairs carrying heavy equipment (up to 50 lbs).
- Ability to use computer, office equipment.
- Ability to speak to individuals and groups, ability to hear verbal conversation.
- May occasionally be required to physically subdue combative subjects, must maintain an appropriate level of physical ability accordingly.
- Visual acuity (with or without correction) to read reports.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission included. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
email@example.com - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to becoming a model university of the twenty-first century. Toward this effort we are determined to have a faculty, staff, and student body reflecting the cultural demographics of the Greater Chicago land Area.