Customer Service Specialist
Posting Date January 10, 2017
Position Title Customer Service Specialist
Vacancy # VC-365
Department Residence Life
Division Student Devel And Campus Life
Under the supervision of the Associate Director, the Customer Service Specialist serves as the primary point of contact for individuals calling, electronically contacting, or visiting the office suite. The Customer Service Specialist performs high level in person, telephone, and technology assisted customer service, sets a helping atmosphere of professionalism in the reception area, and performs typing, filing and other related clerical work requiring the use of independent judgment and working knowledge of department rules, regulation, and policies. At times this person is required to cover limited duties of other office clerical staff who may need to be absent from their work station. This person will serve as a back up to the Business Administrative Assistant.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides assistance to all visitors to the Residence Life suite.
- Organizes assigned clerical, typing, filing and other related work and develops effective work methods.
- Reviews, checks, and certifies reports, applications, and other documents for correctness.
- Composes answers to routine letters or e-mail and prepares other letters or e-mails in accordance with office routines and regulations that may not be reviewed by a supervisor.
- Types varied types of correspondence, forms, reports, and documents from varied copy accurately and rapidly.
- Records varied types of data accurately.
- Keeps tickler files organized and up to date.
- Receives and checks applications and/or fees.
- Receives, reviews, and adjusts complaints.
- Prepares personnel records, requisitions, estimates, statistical information, receiving records, and inventories.
- Supervises the operation and care of office machines and equipment.
- Assists with on-the-job training of new clerical and student employees.
- Answers non-routine inquiries for information originating within and without the University in accordance with University policy and regulations.
- Assists in supervising the preparation of and personally prepares statistical and other reports.
- May assist in planning and supervising a designated phase of clerical activity in the unit.
- Maintains records and files. Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic information systems used by the office.
- Maintains confidentiality of records and other sensitive information.
- Assists with data entry for housing management within RMS and all functions of Mercury for room bookings, summer conference bookings, room change management and early arrival and late departure bookings.
- Serve in the absence of the Business Administrative Assistant.
- Schedules and coordinates campus tours for candidates and new personnel as well as potential summer clients for camps and conferences.
- Manages all incoming and outgoing faxes that are submitted to the Residence Life office.
- Assists with the planning and implementation of all training and the overall organization of the Hall Raiser program.
- Assists the Housing Assignments Coordinator with maintenance of all departmental social media accounts.
- Assists managerial staff in designing all departmental advertisements, brochures, presentations and mailings.
- Organizes front office coverage for student and professional staff.
- Coordinates all departmental mailings.
- Coordinate with the Office of Student Communications residential student outreach.
- Collaborate with the Center for Student Involvement Hawksync usage.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor's degree. Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute experience on a year for year basis. Applicants who possess an Associate's degree may substitute two (2) years of position-related experience for the remaining two (2) years of education.
- Two (2) years of experience in clerical work including answering telephone inquiries and typing. Experience using electronic information systems is preferred such as Peoplesoft, Banner and RMS.
- Appointee will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Knowledge of modern office methods, practices, routines, machines, equipment, technology and of the internal organization after a period of training. Ability to comprehend established office routines and regulations and apply them to specific cases in accord with established procedures.
- Ability to organize assigned clerical, typing, and supervisory work, and develop effective work methods. Work cooperatively with associates and superior officers and with that portion of the public interested in or concerned with the work of the office.
Salary Range Salary Range P16: $41,230 - $58,006
*NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to no more than $46,822.
Anticipated Start Date Open until filled
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When submitting a resume and cover letter, please combine the documents into one single document (PDF or MS Word) via the apply link.*
Apply By Resumes will be considered immediately
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION