Posting Date January 9, 2017
Position Title Cash Analyst
Vacancy # VC-366
Department General Accounting
Division Treasury And Finance
Under the direction of a Senior Accountant in the Controller's office, the Cash Analyst will be responsible for preparing the monthly bank reconciliations and managing the daily cash reports. He/she will assist in serving as liaison for banking transactions with the various departments of the University. This position will also be responsible for identifying process improvements and ensuring compliance with internal controls within the PeopleSoft FMS Cash Management module.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Access banking transactions daily, identify associated department, transmit information regarding payments, receipts, ACH returns/bad checks, merchant services fees to department and monitor until posting is complete.
- Utilize PeopleSoft queries and reports to ensure the completion of the work in an efficient and timely manner.
- Work collaboratively with Grants, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Student Accounts, and other University Departments to ensure that deposits/disbursements are recorded in the system in the period of occurrence.
- Responsible for journal entries pertaining to bank charges, merchant fees, chargeback, etc. to reconcile MSU's nine bank accounts to the Cash Management/General Ledger.
- Ensure all reconciling items are cleared timely.
- Prepare formal bank reconciliations for each account on a monthly basis.
- Provide audit support for cash deposits and reconciling items
- Responsible for assisting with reconciling with the third party systems, such as Banner Student Accounts, Bank of America Merchant Services, TouchNet Payment Processor, and Workday Payroll.
- Assists in the review and recommendation of improvements to the cash management process to ensure that proper controls are in effect.
- Advise Parking department, Student Accounts, Non-Student Accounts Receivable, and other departments on the correct application of chart field values and the accounting impact of potential payment and receipt procedure options.
- Collaborate with Financial Operations to ensure outstanding disbursements are Escheated on a timely basis.
- Analyze and record banking fees.
- Assist in the development of reports needed for support of annual audits.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is required. A Bachelor's degree in accounting is preferred but a degree in finance will be considered.
- A minimum of two years of experience preparing complex bank reconciliations is required and must include manual preparation in Excel.
- Knowledge of the PeopleSoft Cash Management module, specifically the Book to Bank functionality is preferred, or similar ERP Cash Management system experience.
- Candidate should be a self-starter with an ability to investigate irregularities, initiate solutions, and apply them accordingly.
- The candidate should be organized and prepared to interact with internal and external customers in a confidential and trustworthy manner.
- Must have good oral and written communication as well as excellent analytical skills.
- Must be proficient in Excel, MS Word and PowerPoint and an aptitude in navigating the internet is a necessity.
Salary Range P18: $45,053 -$63,537
*NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to no more than $51,214.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When submitting a resume and cover letter, please combine the documents into one single document (PDF or MS Word) via the apply link.*
Apply By Review begins immediately and continues until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION