Senior Acquisition Editor, Amherst College Press / Senior Acquisition Editor, Lever Press
Full-time, year round position, salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
The Amherst College Press is an open-access publisher of scholarly works based in the Amherst College Library. In addition to its own editorial program, the Amherst College Press exercises editorial leadership for the Lever Press, an open-access press sponsored by a consortium of liberal-arts college libraries. The Senior Acquisition Editor of the Amherst College Press serves in a principal acquisition role for both the Amherst College Press and for the Lever Press. Working collaboratively with the director of the Amherst College Press, the individual in this position will play a key role in the development of the editorial program and direction of both Presses by identifying themes, fields, and topics that each press will pursue. The Editor will be principally responsible for acquiring new series and works of scholarly merit for development and publication by each press.
In carrying out these responsibilities, the Senior Acquisition Editor will need to demonstrate a high capability for working collaboratively with faculty and the stakeholders on whose collaboration the success of these two presses depend. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate a strong entrepreneurial spirit, the capability for self-initiative and organization across a multiplicity of tasks, and the ability to work with faculty and scholars.
The Acquisitions Editor takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Acquisition Editorial for the Amherst College Press
- In collaboration with the director, acquires eight titles per year for the Amherst College Press.
- Proposes series of works for consideration by the Editorial Board.
- Assists the Director of the Amherst College Press with the preparation of dockets for consideration of the ACP Editorial Board at its meetings.
- Represents the Amherst College Press, as appropriate, at meetings of scholarly societies.
- Supports grant writing efforts on behalf of the Amherst College Press, and takes a principal role in drafting responses to potential granting organizations, working in collaboration with the college's Office for Advancement.
- Maintains and supports the social media presence of the Amherst College Press.
Acquisition Editorial for the Lever Press
- In close coordination with the director, assists in convening the inaugural Editorial Board for the Lever Press; guides the work of the Editorial Board; and shapes the editorial program of the Lever Press.
- Plays a principal role in shaping the series proposal process for the consideration of new series of works for the Lever Press editorial program; evaluates these proposals; and presents recommendations to the Editorial Board
- Acquires a minimum of eight titles per year for the Lever Press.
- Assists the Director of the Amherst College Press with the preparation of dockets for the consideration of the Lever Press Editorial Board at its meetings.
- Represents the Lever Press, as appropriate, to Lever's constituency of libraries, and at meetings of scholarly societies.
- Maintains and supports the social media presence of the Lever Press.
- Bachelor's Degree in the humanities, arts, or sciences
- Previous, progressively responsible experience at a scholarly press, preferably in fields identified within the editorial programs of the Amherst College Press and Lever Press.
- Demonstrated capability to manage titles through the editorial process from acquisition, submission, review, developmental editing, design, and production.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills with proven success in independently prioritizing work and managing competing deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to advocate for the Press to a variety of constituents; positive customer service orientation.
- Willingness to tackle challenges in an innovative, start-up environment with energy and enthusiasm, showing patience, and tact. Understanding of the demands of an entrepreneurial environment.
- Competence and sensitivity in working within an academic environment in which students, faculty, staff, and other constituents are broadly diverse with regard to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
- Advanced degree in a field of editorial focus.
- Experience in a startup environment, either in the technology or non-profit sectors.
- Understanding of the mission, ethos, and distinctive qualities of the liberal arts college as a key sector in higher education.
- Understanding of the work and ethos of research libraries, and the digital technology issues confronting both libraries and publishers.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (e-mail and/or telephone number) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 49 states, plus D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum, Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst a great place to work, learn and live!