Technician, Culinary Arts Lab
General Statement of Job
To provide complex lab and/or technical classroom support services to faculty and students.
Location Eastview Campus Hours 40 hour/week as assigned Salary Technician 3/117 ($28,745.00 - $41,064.00) FLSA Status Non-Exempt Reports To Department Chair, Supervisor, or designee Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Additional Job Specific Duties
- Able to work with a diverse group of colleagues and students with a diplomatic approach.
- Work on ACC policy training as required for the position.
- Networking with industry companys to stay current to product knowledge, sourcing and price comparisons.
- Able to problem solve small and large equipment repairs and maintenance issues as they arise. Initiate and monitor repairs from outside companies and ACC maintenance staff.
- Know and understand HACCP.
- Know and understand ordering, putting away of product in storeroom/freezer/refrigerator with proper rotation of product.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of specialized discipline depending on the area of assignment.
- Laboratory tests and experiments policies and procedures.
- Hazardous material/waste handling and disposal.
- Laboratory safety practices.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Handling lab materials precisely and accurately.
- Effectively working with a diverse and multicultural student body.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills, including the use of attention to detail and follow-through.
- Understanding and following instructions precisely.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills, including the use of tact and diplomacy.
- Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
- Use related laboratory software applications.
Required Work Experience
- Two years related work experience.
Preferred Work Experience
- Prefer 3-5 yrs. in culinary field (example: Chef, Sous Chef, Purchaser).
- High school diploma or educational equivalent.
- Culinary Arts Certificate, Associate degree in Culinary Arts or equivalent work experience to food service.
- Current Food Handlers Card
Valid driver's license with clean driving record
- Work is performed in a variety of settings.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling, and at times subject to stooping, crawling, and climbing.
- May need to lift heavy objects of up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds.
- May be exposed to a variety of temperatures, noise, moving mechanical parts, or chemicals.
- Specific vision abilities may include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to focus.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- A team player; because this is a school, this position will have to enter act with students to maintain departmental standards of sanitation and kitchen etiquette.
- Able to maintain an even temperament in difficult and conflicting situations.
- Capable of dealing with last minute changes with requisitions submitted by faculty and staff. Able to work with substitutions of products as needed.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.