Job Location Normal, Il 61790
Posting date 03-10-2017
This position will perform clerical duties related to Operations functions, including processing university housing contracts/leases, making room assignments and room changes, and entering student charges as well as accurate records management. The two main purposes of this position are to ensure effective communication and processing regarding contract/lease creation and room assignment procedures, and to maintain welcoming and effective communication flow for other departmental processes that affect university housing students.
1. High school graduation or equivalent.
2. Twelve (12) months of clerical/office support work experience comparable to that performed at the Office Support Associate level of this series or in other positions of comparable responsibility.
3. Any one or combination totaling twenty-four (24) months from the following categories:
(a) work experience performing clerical/office support work, including use of computer systems
(b) vocational training that provided a knowledge of generally accepted clerical procedures
(c) college or university course work in Office Occupations, Business Administration, Business Education, or closely related fields
36 semester hours = twenty-four (24) months
(d) college or university course work in any curriculum
60 semester hours = twenty-four (24) months
4. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, then employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
1. Knowledge of University and residence hall systems is required. She/he must be able to learn Contract Terms and Conditions, Student Information System, and ID system.
2. The ability to explain policies and guidelines in such a manner that students, parents, staff and other constituencies can understand.
3. Must be customer service oriented and have public relations skills.
4. Incumbent must be able to effectively use on-line computer programs and student databases. Knowing how systems relate is of utmost importance.
5. Knowledge of adding machine/calculator is necessary to assess student-housing charges before posting to Student Information System.
6. Composition and word processing skills are important.
7. Spreadsheet skills and ability to learn how to conduct computer program queries are important.
8. Good organizational and time management skills are needed to complete large volume of work.
9. Must be detail-oriented since accurate record keeping skills are essential.
10. Ability to follow University and UHS policies and guidelines. Incumbent uses own judgment in decision-making. Helps find alternative solutions to housing problems.
11. Flexibility is required to accomplish work, adapt to frequent change, assist students and parents, and to conceive of and use new computer processes. Incumbent is part of the Operations Area in which teamwork and flexibility is crucial.
12. Accuracy is critical to complex procedures.
13. Must be able to concentrate on work he/she is performing while dealing with FREQUENT interruptions by telephone calls, student traffic, and staff. Patience is necessary.
14. Incumbent must be able to learn and understand several computer programs and how they interface.
15. Incumbent needs to be able to effectively respond to upset students and parents. He/she relies on own discretion to analyze and resolve conflicts and inquires.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity. Females, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.