STAFF ASSISTANT I (TRiO Talent Search) - 2 Part-Time Vacancies
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
STAFF ASSISTANT I (TRiO Talent Search) - 2 Part-Time Vacancies
Position #: 1700027
Cover Letter, Resume/CV
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
TRiO Talent Search
First Review Date:
Evergreen Valley College
$16.16 - $19.72 Hourly Salary (Range 44: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2015-2016). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
This position DO NOT include any District health benefits.
The Staff Assistant(s) I report to the Talent Search Program Supervisor at Evergreen Valley College. These positions are 9 months per year position, 16 hours per week; Monday - Thursday; 1:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. These classified positions are grant funded and are contingent upon yearly funding.
Under the supervision of a department supervisor, manager or academic staff member, performs basic clerical, receptionist and some duties of a routing and repetitive nature in support of operations, preparation and maintenance of a variety of records and reports, or the academic professional staff of an administrative or program office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Perform routine clerical assignments in accordance with established procedures and under specific instructions.
2. Receive, screen, review and verify a variety of correspondence, applications or documents.
3. Maintain office files, reports, logs, and wide variety of memoranda.
4. Provide a central source of information on the activities of the office.
5. Receive, screen review and verify a variety of correspondence, applications or documents.
6. Maintain office files, reports, logs and a wide variety of memoranda.
7. Provide a central source of information on the activities of the office.
8. Receive, screen and/or direct visitors and telephone calls coming to the office and deliver messages.
9. Open, sort, log and deliver mail.
10. Schedule appointments and meetings.
11. Prepare counselor sheets and drop-in sheets, student folders and copy student records as necessary.
12. Enter and retrieve data using a computer terminal and microprocessor.
13. Maintain computerized schedules and calendars, student, financial, employment and program activity records.
14. Wait on the public at the counter, answer a variety of questions or give out information and direct visitors to proper staff person or department.
15. Maintain appropriate supply of forms and/or office materials; order; receive and store as necessary.
16. May do light typing, operate a computer terminal, micro-processor or related office equipment in fulfilling work assignments.
17. Perform other duties reasonably related to the job classification.
18. Duties and responsibilities require relevant knowledge of and experience with:
19. Proper telephone techniques and etiquette.
20. Modern office methods, procedures and equipment including personal computers and computer terminals.
21. Proper English spelling, grammar and punctuation.
22. Type at a rate speed necessary for effective performance.
23. Operate a typewriter, calculator, micro-computer and related office equipment.
24. Learn and remember a variety of information related to department procedures, policies, services and programs.
25. Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
26. Deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
27. Write clear and accurate telephone messages.
28. Perform effectively with frequent interruption.
29. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those encountered during the performance of required duties.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Position Summary: The Staff Assistant(s) I report to the Talent Search Program Supervisor at Evergreen Valley College. These positions are 9 months per year position, 16 hours per week; Monday - Thursday; 1:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. These classified positions are grant funded and are contingent upon yearly funding. These positions are represented by the California School Employees Association (CSEA), Chapter 363.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Any combination of experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. The knowledge and abilities could be obtained from some previous experience in meeting the public and education equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2016, with enrollment of approximately 16,000 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 41%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 1%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse classified staff consisting of 40% Hispanic/Latino, 29% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 20% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities