Trades Operations Manager
Facilities Management at the University of Colorado Boulder invites applications for a Trades Operations Manager. This position provides leadership of trades staff, determining personnel and budgetary resource needs, process baselines and changes, and customer service goals, based on data trends. The position supervises the HVAC Shop, Preventative Maintenance (PM) Shop, and Pipe Shop work units. The position ensures processes are correctly implemented, and determines implications for the division budget in collaboration with the Facilities Operations Assistant Director. This position reports to the Facilities Operations Assistant Director and supervises 4 Pipe/Mechanical Trades III positions, an HVAC Engineer position, 2 Electronic Specialist III positions, an Electronic Specialist II position, and a Technician III.
You will receive excellent benefits including:
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 10 paid holidays
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- EcoPass for free RTD rides
- An unparalleled retirement plan with an employer contribution at 10% of your salary
Who we are:
Facilities Management provides a physical environment that promotes the advancement and transfer of knowledge and aims to be a dynamic, customer focused organization that provides high quality, competitive services and is recognized as a national leader in the stewardship of our physical facilities.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Responsible for the operation of campus facilities, buildings and mechanical systems, including ensuring that the mission-critical building functions of the university are uninterrupted.
- This position will focus on PM refinement, including determining the correct level of preventive maintenance and associated resource needs.
- Responsible for Building Automation System (BAS) management and refinement, including analyzing cost drivers by building such as energy use and service request volume. Based on this data, creates prioritized Deferred Maintenance building list for collaboration with the Deferred Maintenance Team.
- Work closely with FM Engineering, FMIT, and OIT to ensure the integrity and optimal performance of the network infrastructure. Collaborates with Planning, Design, and Construction (PD&C) and FM Engineering to determine how best to meet customer's project needs.
Leadership and Supervision:
- Supervise and manage the following work units: HVAC Shop, Preventative Maintenance (PM) Shop, and Pipe Shop, including supervision of work unit supervisors.
- Develop, implement, and set deadlines for work unit goals that support Trades Services' strategic initiatives.
- Partner with the Facilities Operations (FO) Assistant Director and Trades Supervisors to identify opportunities for collaboration between Trades work units and across campus.
- Create performance plans to measure progress towards work unit goals and Trades strategic objectives.
Operational Business Process Analysis and Implementation:
- Develop and revise operational processes based on data analysis. Collaborate with the Process Engineer, HVAC Engineer, and FM Accounting to validate and analyze data. Validate data against processes to determine changes.
- Determine recharge goals, required FTE (number and classification) per building, and develops, implements, and measures short and long-term customer service goals using benchmarks.
- Function as a key member of the Customer Service Group.
- Restructure operational direction and collaborate with FO Assistant Director and FM Business Services Director to determine implications for the division budget.
What we can offer:
Annual Salary starting at $80,000 and will be commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be engaged. Be thoughtful. Be effective. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Five years total experience in HVAC systems including managing building automation system(s), preventive maintenance, and mechanical piping systems.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree or higher. (Experience in building systems, personnel, and budget management may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year-for-year basis.)
- Advanced Building Systems Knowledge in an institutional, higher education, or similar setting.
- Three years of supervisory experience.
- Two years of operational and business process analysis experience.
- Valid Driver's License.
What you will need:
- Excellent customer service, organizational, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and commitment to continue developing a collaborative, engaging work environment.
What we'd like you to have:
- Experience in Budget Creation and Management.
- Experience supervising and managing multiple work units.
- Experience in a university setting, including experience with personnel processes.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications will be accepted through March 31, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
2. A current resume.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-08668.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10492 - Facilities Management
Posting Date: Mar 9, 2017
Closing Date: Mar 31, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00003166