Academic Advisor - Computer Science
This position will report to the Chairperson of Computer Science in the Grove School of Engineering at The City College of New York. The Academic Advisor will:
- Provide mandated academic/career advisement and registration assistance for declared majors in the Department of Computer Science.
- Perform graduation check for departing undergraduate and graduate students.
- Serve as a resource for staff and faculty on student advisement issues.
- Work with students immediately after their placement exams to determine stops, advise into newly-created initiatives addressing developmental needs, and schedule on-demand registration appointments.
- Advise and instruct incoming freshman students on how to register via CUNYFirst and access the system for the purpose of viewing and understanding their student records.
- Work collaboratively with different departments to ensure that on-demand registration appointments go smoothly including but not limited to Testing, Admissions and Health Services.
- Assist in College-wide registration.
- Maintain database of all incoming students every semester.
This position has occasional weekend responsibilities.
Bachelor's Degree required.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides academic counseling and planning services to a diverse student population.
- Assists students with clarifying values and goals; counsels students regarding educational options, requirements, policies and procedures.
- Offers academic and personal support to guide students through the course selection process
- Provides students with effective and timely referral to other college and external support services
- Monitors and evaluates students' educational progress by conducting academic progress audits
- Establishes and maintains student files, databases and records; prepares activity reports and analyses
- May specialize in providing advice on specific programs or to specific student groups
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Advisor
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYFirst, please click on "Apply Now" on the bottom of this page and follow the instructions.
If you are viewing this job posting externally, please apply as follows:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More search options"
- Search by Job Opening ID number
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST UPLOAD A COVER LETTER AND RESUME AS ONE DOCUMENT IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING FORMATS: doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.
March 22, 2017 (Search reopened)
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: City College of New York
Job Title: Academic Advisor - Computer Science
Job ID: 16174
Full/Part Time: Full-Time