Director of First Year Seminar
Founded in 1958, Quincy College is a two-year, municipally affiliated college serving approximately 4,000 students at campuses located in Quincy and Plymouth, Massachusetts.
Quincy College Mission Statement
Quincy College is an open access institution that encourages academic achievement and excellence, diversity, economic opportunity, community involvement, and lifelong learning. The College facilitates valuable learning relationships that inspire students to realize their educational and professional futures.
We are committed to the following values: student learning and achievement; excellence in teaching; mutual respect, responsibility, and collaboration; individual and institutional integrity; and diversity of people and perspectives.
The College recognizes that our success is measured by the long-term satisfaction and achievement of our students, and the positive partnerships we develop. Our most valuable resources to achieving our mission are our faculty, administration and support staff. Each individual employee's performance contributes to our ability to successfully achieve and excel in all aspects of our mission and values.
The Director of First Year Seminar for Quincy College is responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of a strategic plan for the first year experience of the College's Quincy, Plymouth and Online students. The Director will have demonstrated experience in working with students transitioning into postsecondary education as well as with faculty and staff who engage students new to the collegiate environment. Assignment/ travel between the Quincy and Plymouth campuses may be required. Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Advise the College concerning the structure and content of First Year Seminar and related transitional experiences for all new students in Quincy, Plymouth and Online.
- Disseminate materials, train First Year Seminar Instructors and coordinate engagement by other college departments to ensure consistency across course sections
- Meet with First Year Seminar instructors before and during each semester
- Work closely with the internal Quincy College community and external stakeholders to advance first year student success
- Contribute to facilitating the acceptance of First Year Seminar credits by partner institutions of higher education
- Use qualitative and quantitative data to inform decisions that will lead to enhancement of experiences of first year students from various groups, such as international students, students in various majors, students needing additional reading skills, etc.
- Understand college policies and procedures.
- Use independent judgment in making decisions.
- Create a welcoming and engaging environment that fosters learning.
- Willingness to work in the evenings and the weekends.
- Participate in mandatory training/coursework.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Possible staff level direct reports.
Status: Regular Part-time .57FTE, Non-unit, 20 hrs per week
Supervisor: Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
Work Year: 52 weeks
Educational Criteria: Master's degree or equivalent work experience required.
Qualifications: A minimum of three (3) years experience in college administration/teaching, good communication skills, and a sincere desire and willingness to serve a multicultural population. Demonstrated experience in working across institutional departmental and disciplinary boundaries. Demonstrated leadership skills required, 1-year supervisory experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently, think on the fly and be flexible
- Excellent organizational skills, project management skills including follow-up and assessment
- Both analytical skills and a sense of creativity
- Proficient with the computer
- Professional demeanor both on campus and within the department
- Qualified applicants must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodations.
Please submit the following documents online: