Senior IRB Coordinator - Research
The Office of Research Integrity and Compliance in the Research Office at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Senior IRB Coordinator. The position is responsible for overseeing the full board submissions for Human Research Protections program and IRB committee processes. The Coordinator is also responsible for maintaining the AAHRPP accreditation, and will be the liaison for external regulatory agencies.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Pre-review and assign more than minimal risk protocols to the convened IRB meetings, as well as attend and record discussion during meetings.
- Schedule special meetings for urgent human research protections cases.
- Backup pre-review and assign any submission regardless of review type, and approve exempts and NHSR when needed.
- Review all unanticipated events, which may include non-compliance, deviations, and violations by researchers, and forward to the IRB for possible action.
- Assist in development of new policies and procedures for the conduct of human subject research protections, particularly in regards to application for AAHRPP accreditation, as well as reviewing and updating existing policies and procedures.
- Maintain AAHRPP accreditation, including annual reports and renewals.
- Schedule, attend and record minutes for the IRB chairs meetings.
- Provide help and training (when requested) to investigators, research coordinators, IRB members and any other groups within the institution.
- Provide guidance to IRB chairs and IRB members regarding federal and local regulations, including regulations that govern VAMC for the conduct of human subject research.
- Work closely with federal regulatory auditors regarding human research subjects protections and attend any exit interviews conducted by external auditors of human research.
- Act as liaison to the Louis A. Johnson VA Medical Center and other affiliate organizations regarding submission of protocols and related documentation for IRB approval.
- Maintain signature authority to approve minor amendments to research protocols, as well as signature authority to approve all reviewed research.
- Administratively arrange Quality Coordinator site visit of any type of research protocols.
- Be familiar with and assist others in the development of research protocols, amendments, continuing renewals, and other documentation in the Kuali Coeus electronic research administration system.
- Master’s Degree required in social, behavioral, medical or related field
- Five (5) years of experience in the following:
- Federal and local regulations on human subject research
- Developing policies and procedures for a human subject research program
- All levels of review using human subject research
- A mastery of written and verbal communication
- An understanding of how research is conducted, specifically biomedical and social/behavioral sciences
- Computer skills, i.e. Microsoft Suite, databases, electronic submission, etc.
- Ability to maintain good working relations with the members of the research community
- Must be a team player
- Background check
- PRIM&R - CIP Certification preferred
- Cover letter
- Three professional references
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
: Mar 9, 2017
Posting Classification: FE/AP
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes