University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Genetics
Position #  Requisition # 
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a comprehensive urban research university serving more than 18,000 students in metropolitan Denver and online. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado public institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer 119 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is well known for its distinctive and highly productive research programs, its world-class health facilities at the Anschutz Medical Campus and its well-established partnerships in business, industry and government. These campuses currently have over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at our Anschutz Medical Campus, a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver. Denver is one of America's most vibrant urban centers and the downtown campus, located just steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District, affords our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The Department of Pediatrics Section of Genetics has an opening for a part-time instructor. The Section of Clinical Genetics and Metabolism provides clinical care in genetics to the population of the State of Colorado. The Department of Pediatrics within the University of Colorado School of Medicine is located at and associated with the Children's Hospital Colorado, but as the only pediatric service for general genetics within the state of Colorado, the Section serves all the citizens of the state.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Provide clinical outpatient consultations, including at regional outreach clinics and via telehealth, and inpatient consultations of individuals with known or suspected genetic disorders.
- Share on-call responsibilities with the other clinical faculty to provide 24/7 coverage for general genetics and biochemical genetics including outpatient clinics, inpatient consultations, and newborn screening.
- Participate in the education of genetic residents, medical students, pediatric residents, and genetic counseling students.
- Initiate clinical or basic science research projects to expand knowledge in the field of genetics.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
- MD degree with completion of a primary training residency from an ACGME accredited program or equivalent training program
- Completion of a Medical Genetics residency program resulting in board eligibility or board certification in Medical Genetics as a Clinical Geneticist
- Eligible for medical licensure in the State of Colorado
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles of genetics and inborn errors of metabolism
- Knowledge of standard inpatient and outpatient clinical operations and procedures
- Ability to develop and present educational information to patients as well as to professionals
- Ability to provide genetic, medical, and technical information in a comprehensive, understandable, nondirective manner to patients and families
- Ability to work independently as well as serving as a team member
- Ability to gather data and prepare reports
- Skilled in communication, both oral and written
- Skilled in establishing priorities
- Ability to develop collaborative or independent research projects
- Educational skills to mentor, train, and advise various learners.
Additional training in Biochemical Genetics (prefer 1 year in a full-time capacity)
Strong knowledge of newborn screening
Strong knowledge in maternal fetal medicine
Experience in telehealth and provision of regional care
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified. When applying at www.cu.edu/careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. 3 professional letters of reference 4. Other required documents: copies of all current licenses and certifications Questions should be directed to Barbara Strain, email@example.com
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20873 - SOM-PEDS Stolinsky GenOps
Posting Date: Mar 9, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Barbara Strain
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00732188