Identity and Access Management Engineer
Posting Date September 12, 2016
Position Title Identity and Access Management Engineer
Vacancy # V-1212
Department Information Security and Identity Management
Division Information Technology
Under the supervision of the Director of Information Security and Identity Management for Information Technology; is responsible for all aspects of electronic Identity and Access Management, including user account (NetID) provisioning, user self-service password management interfaces, and role-based access control solutions.
• Assists with the management of current in-house developed user provisioning system and plays a key role in the design, implementation and deployment of any new or enhanced Identity and Access Management System (IAMS).
• Develops scripts, user interfaces, and data integrations with University systems of record. Ensures the integrity and security of user identity information by following coding best practices.
• Coordinates the secure transfer and synchronization of institutional data between administrative applications and intranet and Cloud/SaaS applications for electronic authentication and authorization purposes.
• Assists with the managment of the University's directory services including LDAP schema and tree design.
• Performs requirements analysis and technical planning in the design and implementation of secure applications in a multi-platform client/server environment.
• Responsible for designing and implementing applications, policies, and procedures for Identity Management that utilize Human Resources, Registrar, and Affiliate systems of record data.
• Acts as technical liaison for identity-related application development that involves other IT units or administrative and academic departments.
• Maintains authentication and authorization databases for various intranet applications such as the University's NetID provisioning system, online learning management system, ERP systems, cloud-based applications, and campus portal.
• Evaluates emerging identity management, authorization, and data integration standards such as OAuth2 and SAML.
• Adheres to industry and University best practices for application design and deployment and leverages open standards development tools, languages, and libraries whenever possible.
• Researches new authentication and authorization technology such as digital signatures, one-time passwords, and biometrics, and how they can be integrated into future application design.
• Maintains integrity and appropriate confidentiality in all institutional and program operations.
• Establishes and maintains effective communication and cooperative working relationships with the institution's administrators, faculty and staff, government, and private agencies in order to accomplish the objectives of the Information Technology Division.
• Represents the university at conferences, seminars or meeting as required and serves on ad hoc and standing committees as required.
• Performs other functions consistent with the job title as necessary and as directed by the Director of Information Security and Identity Management or upper management.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Graduation from an accredited university/college with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field.
• Three years of professional experience with Identity Management systems (commercial or custom built) and application development, preferably in an institution of higher education or other field that is directly related to the functions of the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Extensive knowledge of directory services technologies such as LDAP and Active Directory.
• Knowledge of LDAP schema extension design, use and common frameworks such as eduPerson and eduOrg.
• Knowledge of web services technologies and security API's such as HTML, XML, SPML, REST, SOAP, SAML, CAS, OAuth2, OpenID, Kerberos, and SCIM.
• Knowledge of encryption technologies such as PGP, SSH, and SSL/TLS, PKI, and the ability to leverage those technologies in standalone or web based applications.
• Ability to manage a software project from requirements phase through final implementation and maintenance.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Knowledge of federated directory services such as ADFS and Shibboleth, the inter-institutional authentication framework.
• Knowledge of database technologies such as mySQL, Postgres, Oracle, MS-SQL, ODBC and JDBC.
• Knowledge of cloud services APIs, in particular Google Apps APIs.
• Working knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, as well as familiarity with other operating systems including:Windows 2008/2012, Android, iOS, and MacOS.
• Familiarity with source code revision control systems (CVS, SVN) and Integrated Development Environments for developing, prototyping, and debugging software projects.
• Working knowledge of data, Internet, and local area network security practices and procedures.
• Understanding of Internet standard protocols like TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, LDAP, IMAP/POP.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills and the ability to prepare clear and detailed documentation and correspondence.
Commensurate with Experience.
Anticipated Start Date December 2016
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When submitting a resume and cover letter, please combine the documents into one single PDF or Word document via the apply link.*
Apply By Open until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION