Program Assistant, College of the Arts (80%)
Posting Date November 8, 2016
Position Title Program Assistant, College of the Arts (80%)
Vacancy # V-1229
Department College of the Arts
Division Academic Affairs
To provide ongoing support for the Associate Dean in curricular, faculty, committee, and institutional matters:
• Collect and summarize accurate institutional and project-based data (including spreadsheets and development of statistical, organizational, and flow charts/tables) for various administrative reports, plans, presentations, and communications.
• Provide technical assistance and coordination for college committees and relevant university committees.
• Coordinate receipt of faculty scholarship proposals and reports, internal grant awards, curriculum proposals, assessment and accreditation reports, election results, budget and other approval forms in support of academic and nonacademic units.
• Maintain strong and facile communication links between Associate Dean and college/university faculty/staff/administrators.
• Clarify institutional and curricular structures, policies, and procedures to faculty/staff/administration, as well as provide reminders and alert them of changes and deadlines.
• Monitor and prepare notices/reports regarding the college/university's administrative calendar, strategic goals, faculty accomplishments, and community engagement.
• Prepare meeting locations, materials, notes, and minutes.
• Perform basic office duties, e.g., schedule meetings, answer telephones, order supplies, make travel arrangements, and maintain paper and electronic project, signature, correspondence, curricular, and other files.
• Ensure efficient, consistent, timely, and welcoming office coverage and public access in coordination with the Dean's Executive Assistant and the College Administrator.
• Support special projects, faculty elections, and assessment data entry, and review assessment plans for completion.
• Perform studies or investigations for recommended action.
• Assist event planning and faculty/staff training on institutional procedures.
• Assist clerical staff within other units of the college as assigned to help meet challenging deadlines and ensure smooth functioning of the college.
• Provide backup or assistance to budget processes and facilities support where necessary.
• Provide direct support for the CART Diversity Committee, which pursues minority recruitment of academic faculty, staff, and students.
• Provide direct support for the CART Distance Learning Committee, which assesses and recommends online curriculum.
• Confirm all course syllabi postings online and compliance with approved template.
• Provide faculty, program, and institutional assessment assistance (interfacing with school/department assessment liaisons responsible for assessing approximately 55 programs) and accreditation research support in 4 disciplines and MSCHE.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Productive, accurate, organized, efficient, flexible, on-time, and goal-oriented.
• Clear, accurate, and timely written and oral communication skills (including preparation, formatting, and proofreading of correspondence, memos, minutes, as well as telephone and other electronic responses) and effective computer skills (minimally, the MS Suite, but able to learn proprietary and other software, e.g. Canvas, Workday).
• BA degree required.
• Able to strategically prioritize and take initiative, and when necessary expedite multiple tasks.
• Proficient in developing charts and tables diagramming and clarifying processes, structures, and data.
• Knowledge of office and general management principles and protocols.
• Able to follow up on decisions and directives in a timely manner.
• Quick learner, detail-oriented.
• Able to stay updated on College/University procedures and policies.
• Demonstrated filing skills.
• Team player able to maintain a collegial and respectful work environment, demonstrating successful interaction with and assistance to various parties and constituents.
• Demonstrated knowledge and/or sensitivity to the arts preferred.
Commensurate with Experience
Anticipated Start Date January, 2017
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Apply By Review begins immediately and continues until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION