Associate Dean of Students
Posting Date March 8, 2017
Position Title Associate Dean of Students
Vacancy # V-1264
Department Dean of Students
Division Student Devel And Campus Life
Reporting directly to the Dean of Students, the Associate Dean is a member of the Senior Dean of Student staff consisting of the Dean and two Associate Deans. The Associate Dean shares responsibility with the Dean and Associate Dean for advocating on student issues and assisting students in resolving student problems, conflicts and emergency needs to enable their academic and personal development. The Associate Dean supervises the Director of Student Conduct, the Director of the Office of Equity and Diversity (includes: the Women's Center, the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning (LGBTQ) Center, the Center for Faith and Spirituality). The Associate Dean also serves as the University's Deputy Title IX Coordinator and 504 Compliance Officer. The Associate Dean chairs the Crisis, Assessment, Response and Education (CARE) Team.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Participates as a member of the Office of the Dean of Students leadership team. Collaborates with Dean of Students and Associate Dean of Students to develop, implement, and execute the strategic direction of the Office of the Dean of Students and all affiliated departments.
- Meets with students and provides direct intervention to resolve problems and issues.
- Supervises the Director of Student Conduct.
- Supervises the Director of Equity and Diversity.
- Collaborates with colleagues in other University departments, including: faculty, administrators, and staff in seeking means to effective resolve student problems and/or issues.
- Provides on-call support for students in crises during the evenings and weekends as designated by the Dean of Students rotating on-call schedule.
- Monitors "Office of the Dean of Students" email account and the intake of Student Concern Forms and provides the appropriate intervention and/or referral to on-campus resources.
- Adjudicates University disciplinary policies and procedures and serves as an appellate when necessary.
- In conjunction with the Dean of Students and Associate Dean of Students assesses and approves course withdrawal exceptions.
- Provides crisis management support to the Dean of Students during any crisis/emergency situations.
- Oversees and chairs the CARE Team, including management of case records and confidential files.
- Coordinates with the CARE Team on assessment of prior cases, including follow up with departments and community agencies to determine and/or recommend best resources available to students in need of support.
- In coordination with the CARE Team, develops intervention plans in order to minimize and/or resolve problems, evaluates needs of students and develops plans of action.
- Develops and implements workshops and training sessions to assist University staff and faculty in identifying and addressing problem situations involving students.
- Supervises Graduate Intern for the Office of the Dean of Students.
- Serves as the Office of the Dean of Students' representative for the Advisory Committee on Alcohol and Other Drugs; the Bias, Education, and Response (BERT) Team, and Council for Faith and Spirituality.
- Works closely with the University Title IX Coordinator as the Deputy Title IX coordinator for the university
- Develops strategy to educate students on their rights and responsibilities regarding sexual misconduct and/or harassment. Ensures students participating in overnight enrichment programs (i.e. Educational Opportunity Fund, Health Careers Program, Red Hawk Advantage, etc.) are informed about sexual misconduct and/or harassment prior to residence at the University.
- Investigates all student-on-student allegations of sexual misconduct and/or harassment.
- Participates in all major University student engagement events, including but not limited to, New Student Orientation, Transfer Orientation, Adult Student Orientation, Accepted Student Days, Move-In Day, etc.
- Serves as the University's 504 Compliance Officer.
- Administers student emergency fund programs managed by the Office of the Dean of Students (i.e. Chapin Loan, Student Government Book Grant, etc.).
- Represents the Office of the Dean of Students at all campus activities, as well as local, state, national, and international meetings and/or conferences as requested.
- Serves as advisor to student clubs and organizations as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
*The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Master's Degree required, Doctorate preferred, from an accredited institution with seven (7) or more years progressive administrative experience in student or academic affairs.
- Must have progressive supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex and diverse job responsibilities.
- Experience with technology required; Experience in case management, higher education and crisis management environment highly preferred.
*Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Commensurate with Experience
Anticipated Start Date July 1, 2017
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Apply By Review begins immediately and continues until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION