Salary: $54,483 - $68,795
Title: Physician Coder
Department: Clinical Affairs
Date Posted: 03/08/2017
Position Information: UCR Health is a team of physicians, specialists and healthcare professionals dedicated to improving the health of Inland Southern California residents and families by bringing health home to our communities.
Established alongside the School of Medicine at the University of California, Riverside, UCR Health is growing to meet the healthcare needs of the region - bringing innovative, culturally sensitive medical care to our communities. Our patient-centered primary care and specialty services deliver university-based healthcare excellence and innovation to the communities where we live, work and play. To learn more about UCR Health, please visit: www.ucrhealth.org.
The Physician Coder will contribute to our growth and success in meeting our mission by reviewing, analyzing and assuring the final diagnoses and procedures as stated by the practicing providers are valid and complete. Accurately codes office and hospital procedures for providers to ensure proper reimbursement. Provides education to the providers to ensure proper completion of electronic health records and proper assignment of ICD-9 CDM and ICD-10 CDM, HCPCS and CPT codes. All delivered in a patient centric environment.
Please note: The classification title and salary range for this position are currently under review. The candidate will be placed on the anticipated salary range of $27.32/hr - $33.97/hr in accordance with the step placement methodology as defined in the collective bargaining agreement. The proposed title code for this position is covered under the AFSCME Patient Care Technical Unit Contract (EX).
Please note: UCR is implementing a new job classification system, Career Tracks, with effective dates of September 27, 2015 for non-exempt employees and October 1, 2015 for exempt employees. The payroll title for the position for which you have applied may change at the time of hire or on September 27, 2015 and October 1, 2015, respectively. This change will not impact job duties, responsibilities or a salary that has been offered. Please visit: http://hr.ucr.edu/salary/careertracks.html for further information.
Minimum Requirements: 1. Current certification as a Professional Coder from the AAPC; ability to provide current documentation from appropriate agency.
2. A minimum of 1 year experience of CPT, ICD-10 and HCPCS coding and charge capture.
3. Comprehensive knowledge of medical diagnostic and procedural terminology.
4. Comprehensive knowledge of federal, state and third-party-payer coding and documentation guidelines.
5. Demonstrated skill/experience working with computerized reports to abstract information.
6. Ability to interact in a professional and diplomatic manner with difficult and/or emotionally charged people.
7. Demonstrated ability to work independently with only general supervision.
8. Working knowledge of Microsoft software applications.
9. Organizational skills to prioritize workload and meet deadlines; develop and carry out project assignment in an efficient and timely manner.
10. Excellent written and verbal communication skills to interact with tact and diplomacy with administration, physicians, and staff at all levels. Ability to generate error-free documents and correspondence.
Preferred Qualifications: 1. An additional 3 years of advanced experience and knowledge of CPT, ICD-10 and HCPCS inpatient/outpatient coding with a Neurosurgery, Women's Health (OB, Uro-Gyn, Gyn-Onc), Orthopedics focus.
2. Experience with M.D. Audit.
3. Experience working in healthcare in an academic setting.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
At UC Riverside we celebrate diversity and are proud of our #12 ranking among the nation for most diverse universities (US News and World Report 2013-2014). Become part of a place that fosters success for all its constituents, students, faculty, and staff, and where work/life balance and campus culture are integral to our way of life.
UCR is ranked 55th among top public universities (US News and World Report 2013-2014).
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview