Teaching Assistant Professor
Creating a robust culture of writing on the DU campus, the Writing Program helps students and faculty develop complex writing abilities needed in contemporary academic, professional, and civic life. The nationally recognized program provides a national model for colleges and universities seeking exemplary practices in teaching writing.
The University of Denver Writing Program seeks a Teaching Assistant Professor to begin September 1, 2017. This is a benefited, 9-month position that features multi-year contracts and is promotable through a series that also includes Teaching Associate and Teaching Full Professor.
- Writing professors teach six courses of first-year writing per year in a quarter system, in sections capped at 16 students.
- Participate extensively in program and faculty development.
- Provide program/campus leadership and support for writing
- Closely follow Program goals, policies and practices.
- Perform assigned and negotiated professional service
- Encouraged to perform scholarship.
- Encouraged to teach in a growing Minor in Applied Writing.
- Financial support for professional travel and development.
- Compelling commitment to teach writing to undergraduate students.
- ABD in Writing, Rhetoric, or Composition Studies, English or closely related field.
- Minimum of two years of successful experience teaching undergraduate writing or MA in Writing, Rhetoric, English or Composition Studies.
- Graduate coursework in composition theory, research, history and pedagogy or equivalent professional expertise (as demonstrated through publications, conference presentations, etc.)
- Terminal degree (PhD, MFA, etc.) in Rhetoric, Writing or Composition Studies, English or related field.
- Minimum of three years of highly successful experience teaching undergraduate writing.
- Dissertation or extensive graduate coursework in rhetoric and composition with supporting professional activities.
- Compelling career interest in composition studies.
- Evidence of ability to contribute actively to a collaborative, progressive and serious community of writing professors.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please click New Resume/CV at the bottom of the page to begin application. If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Douglas Hesse at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
PLEASE NOTE: The online application system is limited to uploading 5 files total. Please combine content (clearly labeled) if necessary to upload all required content.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.