Teaching Assistant Professor
The English Language Center (ELC), located on the campus of the University of Denver, is an intensive English program (IEP) for international students. The ELC prepares its graduates with the necessary communicative and cultural competencies to be successful members of the University of Denver and other U.S. institutions of Higher Education.
The ELC invites applications for a non-tenure track full-time Teaching Assistant Professor position for the ELC's academic year 2017-2018, beginning as early as August 2017. The Teaching Assistant Professor position will be responsible for the instruction of courses in the ELCs credit-bearing LAUNCH curriculum as well as courses in the IEP. Candidates must have a demonstrated record of excellence in teaching at the post-secondary level. The initial appointment is for one year, renewable based on performance and teaching needs.
Responsibilities for the Teaching Assistant Professor position include:
- Preparing for and teaching 12 courses across four quarters per academic year.
- Facilitating and participating in English Language Proficiency Assessment testing for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Advising and conferencing with students.
- Participating in department meetings.
- Serving on ad hoc and standing committees of the Department, Division and the University including Faculty Senate.
- Assisting with pre-quarter testing, placement, orientation, and registration of ELC students as needed.
- MA TESL/TESOL/TEFL or MA in related field with documented coursework for credit in the areas of linguistics, culture and society, educational foundations, second-language pedagogy, second-language assessment, and language teaching practicum.
- 5 years of teaching experience in a U.S. college/university-based intensive English program (IEP).
- Experience teaching courses for matriculated, degree-seeking students.
- Experience with assessment, curriculum, and materials development; collaborating with faculty colleagues on curriculum and other matters and, teaching a variety of skill areas at various levels.
- Knowledge of or previous formal study of a second language.
- Demonstrated contributions to the field (research, publications, presentations, creative work, etc.).
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please click New Resume/CV at the bottom of the page to begin application. If you have questions regarding this position, please email
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts for required coursework
- Teaching statement
- Select teaching evaluations (if available)
PLEASE NOTE: The online application system is limited to uploading 5 files total. Please combine content (clearly labeled) if necessary to upload all required content.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.