Communications Manager for the Provost Office
The Communications Manager for the Office of the Provost provides strategic communications support for the office, in accordance with standards and messaging established by the Office of University Marketing and Communications. The intent of the role is to ensure clear, timely, professional and consistent communications with all internal and external stakeholders of the Provost’s office.
While the position sits directly in the Office of the Provost, the role takes direction from the Associate Vice President of Marketing and Communications and will be included in the University-wide communications network.
The Communications Manager will provide communications counsel to the Provost, oversee message development, draft speeches, PowerPoint presentations, letters, memos, newsletters and other written communications as requested. The Manager will serve as a conduit from the Office of the Provost to the Office of University Marketing and Communications, ensuring that the University’s marketing team is aware of the Provost’s office activities that are likely to have an impact on the University. The Manager will ensure that messaging and style are consistent with University style. This role will work directly with the Office of University Marketing and Communications on issues related to the media.
Qualifications/Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, business or related discipline.
- A minimum of 5-7 years practical business/administrative experience required.
- A high degree of professionalism and strong work ethic coupled with a sense of responsibility and integrity required.
- Experience with higher education communications at the executive level preferred.
- Excellent judgment and discretion required in handling highly sensitive, privileged and confidential information in a respectful manner.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- High proficiency in project management, attention to detail, prioritization of work and organizational skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; can interact with all levels of an organization, internally and externally, with a calm and friendly attitude, especially when dealing with difficult situations.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision, tight time constraints and periodic high volume circumstances.
- Willingness and ability to take direction from various sources required.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office; strong Excel, PowerPoint and Word skills and experience required.
- Understanding and familiarity with web-based content management systems and applications.
- Must be flexible and available outside of normal business hours. May be required to respond to urgent matters at all times of the day and/or on scheduled days off.