DIRECTOR OF ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE
Duties: The of Director of Administration and Finance will provide administrative and financial leadership for the Perelman School of Medicine's (PSOM) new Palliative and Advanced Illness Research (PAIR) Center. The position reports directly to the Faculty Director of the PAIR Center with matrixed reporting to PSOM administration and the Chief Research Administrator of the DOM.
The mission of the PAIR Center is to generate high-quality evidence to advance healthcare policies and practices that improve the lives of all people affected by serious illness. PAIR Center initiatives include the Fostering Improvement in End-of-Life Decision Science (FIELDS) Program, the Acute Care Health Services Research Group, pilot grants that support new investigators as well as interdisciplinary science involving investigators from Penn Medicine and throughout the University of Pennsylvania that are relevant to the PAIR Center mission, as well as the training of students, house officers, post-doctoral fellows, and junior faculty to become leaders in improving care for patients with serious illness.
The Director of Administration and Finance will be directly involved with program planning and policy development related to the realization of strategic planning goals, and is responsible for ensuring that the programmatic and financial objectives of the Center are achieved. This individual will essentially function as the Chief of Staff to the Center Faculty Director. He or she will be responsible for oversight of sponsored programs; financial management of Center activity; preparation and monitoring of total annual operating budget including gifts, endowments, and special purpose funds. He or she will be accountable for all aspects of the PAIR Center's operations, research (including Clinical Trials) administration, financial, human resources, communications, strategic planning, and space planning.
Qualifications: A Master's Degree and 5 years to 7 years of experience, preferably in an academic medicine environment, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Personal Characteristics of the ideal candidate
* A person of integrity and accountability with a personal style that builds and nurtures relationships based on team play, trust, honesty, reliability, openness and confidence.
* A leader who possesses tenacity, resilience and is able to both receive and give feedback in a constructive way.
* A mentor with abilities to develop a strong center leadership team and engage staff in the focus on science
* A high competence in communication, able to interact with all stakeholders expertly and effectively.
* A prepared individual who runs effective meetings, has strong organizational skills and excellent follow-through
* Ability to partner in developing strategic goals and vision, and translate into operations and logistics of accomplishing those goals
* High level of enthusiasm and personal credibility, coupled with an appropriate sense of humor
Reference Number: 40-25052
Salary Grade: 029
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: DM-Department of Medicine
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: B-Executive/Managerial Administration