High Voltage Electrician
Working Title: High Voltage Electrician
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Facilities Management Department
Posting Date: 01-30-2017
Facilities Management (FM) supports the University of Virginia's wide range of research, academic and patient care programs. With over 1,200 employees dedicated to excellence, Facilities Management is responsible for the day-to-day operation, repair and maintenance of U.Va.'s buildings, infrastructure and grounds as well as other University-owned and leased properties.
The High Voltage Electrician supports Facilities Management's goal of providing a consistent, cost effective and the control of safe working conditions for Facilities Management. The incumbent inspects, maintains, tests, repairs, operates, troubleshoots and replaces all 4,160V and 12,470 V apparatus at all buildings and substation sites. This includes, but is not limited to, switching high voltage and preparing the switching procedures. Maintenance of high voltage equipment includes switches, circuit breakers, transformers, relays, distribution lines, cables, and cable terminations.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Must be knowledgeable in the reading of blueprints and wiring diagrams. Must be able to interpret complicated circuitry designs and have a good understanding of electronic devices such as relays and VFDs.
2. Must be willing and able to work in confined spaces such as vaults and manholes and be able to work in high lifts to reach light poles.
3. Must be available to respond to emergencies, work on-call, rotating swing shift and holidays.
4. Ability to operate electrical machines, equipment and other hand and/or power tools needed to perform skill- related job tasks.
5. Must possess knowledge and ability to utilize correct tools, techniques and methods for handling specific electrical projects by applying thorough knowledge of codes and the skills of a craftsperson.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=80876