Research & Data Analyst
Reporting to the Director of Institutional Research & Planning, the position will provide statistical data analysis and database construction of elements relevant to the effectiveness of Johnson County Community College in strategic planning, student success, and resource management. The position will develop reports and conduct research to inform decision making by college leadership and support units. It will perform data extraction, information analysis, and research reports to provide institutional information to internal and external constituents. Additionally, will collaborate on inter-departmental and inter-campus data research and business intelligence projects.
- Develop and maintain dynamic dashboards and reports to support college and departmental planning, enrollment management, compliance, and decision making
- Develop and maintain reports used in academic and administrative program reviews
- Validates reports created in Enterprise Data Warehouse environment before being published
- Ensure that programs and queries used to report data do so being consistent with regulations and guidelines
- Retrieve and maintain data sources which are used to build interactive data visualizations; build data visualizations using Cognos, Power BI, SQL, etc.
- Respond to ad-hoc informational requests from faculty, staff, and administrators within the college.
- Coordinate all institutional enrollment (and related) reporting for state, federal, and other external agencies including maintaining IPEDS surveys, and the Kansas Board of Regents data collections.
2. Database/ Programming
- Develops departmental applications and databases to support college-wide projects, including research studies, business intelligence reporting and strategic planning.
- Collaborates with college stakeholders to analyze specifications and design reports using report writing tools and other data reporting methods
- Responsible to for extraction and transformation of data using programming techniques from multiple data sources
- Develop and maintain audit reports to minimize time needed to review, clean, and manipulate data used in both internal and external reports
- Collaborates with IS to develop and maintain the technical architecture for report writing
- Review data placed into the JCCC data warehouse for accuracy
- Develops, maintains, and updates queries to fulfill recurring data needs for institutions reporting requirements
- Automates current data gathering and reporting systems in conjunction with functional area experts, data team members, and others
3. Data Analyses
- Develops and performs complex data analysis in support of institutional research projects
- Ensures accurate data extraction, analysis and summary reports for internal and external requests
- Collect, and analyze data and metrics, and develop effective means of communicating this data visually for the web.
- Assists and conducts quantitative studies/analyses of institutional effectiveness which support planning, policy formation and decision making
- Creates dashboards and reporting tools within Business Intelligence software packages to aid research initiatives and policy-level discussions.
- Consultation is provided for troubleshooting, data manipulation, data validation, and evaluation of new projects and reports.
- Provides statistical and summary data from Banner/EDW to both administration and academic departments on an ongoing basis and produces a variety of reports.
- Bachelor's degree. Preferably in statistics, analytics, math, computer science, behavioral or social sciences, or information technology.
- Three years of experience in data collection conducting research studies and analyses.
- Proven ability working with large data sets or data warehouses.
- Ability to utilize a diversity of software packages, applications and automated systems for collecting and managing data, such as: databases; spreadsheets; statistical packages; reporting tools; and other business intelligence software including but not limited to, MS Office Suite, SQL, SPSS, Cognos 11 BI suite, and other query tools, such as Oracle Discoverer.
- Excellent understanding of data warehousing concepts.
- Experience with data visualization tools, and business intelligence reporting tools.
- Experience working with student-level data in an institution of higher education.
- Experience with Power Query, Power Pivot, Power BI a plus.
- Experience with Enterprise data management systems such as Banner.
- Experience with statistical software package such as SPSS, R, or Python.
- Experience in Object Oriented programming.
Click here for a summary of our benefit information. For a summary of our adjunct faculty compensation, click here.
Every employee of the college is expected to treat all members of the college community with dignity and respect demonstrating professional, courteous and respectful behavior and engage in constructive conflict resolution, when needed.
In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained.
For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
Johnson County Community College welcomes the application of any qualified candidate and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or other factors that cannot be lawfully considered.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email.
For a summary of all disclosures (Background check, Clery Act, ADA, EOE, etc) refer to the links on our Career page.
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Competitive rate of pay dependent on full-time equivalent experience.
For full consideration apply before
Hours per Week
8 a.m.-5 p.m./Monday-Friday
Please provide the following: 1. Cover Letter 2. Resume or Vita 3. Unofficial Transcripts