Casual - Senior Research Specialist
Integrative Genomics - 24200
Note: This is a casual hourly position.
The Ayroles laboratory at the Lewis-Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics seeks applicants for a part-time research specialist position. Our group takes a multi-disciplinary approach to investigate the genetic basis for variation in complex traits addressing broad questions in evolutionary and medical genetics. We work with various Drosophila species as well as humans. We are looking for a highly motivated individual to supervise and carry out large-scale genomics projects and to oversee various lab activities. The research specialist will also be responsible for the development and execution of research projects (which can lead to authorship on scientific publications).
The position is open and review of applications will begin immediately. The position will start as soon as possible. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities will include:
- Drosophila maintenance, crossing, and screening
- Molecular biology including DNA/RNA preparation, PCR, qRT-PCR, next generation sequencing
- Lab organization, maintenance, and purchasing
- Training new lab members on proper lab protocols and procedures
- Participation in experimental design and execution of experiments
- Participation in group meetings
- Master's in biology, genetics, or related field.
- At least two years' experience in a research laboratory working with a (broadly-defined) "model" genetic system such as Drosophila, C. elegans, mouse, Arabidopsis.
- Advanced experience with molecular biology procedures required, including PCR, DNA and RNA purification and DNA sequence analysis, and next generation sequencing techniques.
- Ability to troubleshoot and optimize protocols, and manage projects
- Capacity to work both independently and collaboratively
- Strong attention to detail and meticulous lab notebook keeping
- Excellent communication skills
- Preference will be given to candidate with basic computational skills (e.g. database, processing next generation data).
- Enthusiasm for evolutionary biology and/or genetics.
The ideal candidate is one who seeks professional development as a scientist and is therefore interested in becoming familiar with the current scientific literature. She/he will take ownership of her/his project and work semi-autonomously under the guidance of the PI and other group members. We also welcome the pursuit of an independent research project.
Actual Hours per Week, if casual hourly
Pay Rate, if Casual Hourly
Work Schedule, if other than standard hours
Eligible for Overtime
Open Until Filled or See Position Summary.
Instructions for Applying
Complete the online application and click "Apply to this Posting" at the top of the posting details page.
Documents which can be associated with this posting
Proposed Start Date
End Date, if a Term Appointment
Comments related to end date:
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW