Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor in Communication Design #20170071FAC
Position Title: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor in Communication Design
Job Posting Number: 20170071FAC
Job Location: San Marcos
School of Art and Design
• Teach up to three courses per semester at the BFA and/or the MFA level as assigned by the director.
• Demonstrate a capacity for conducting original creative design and research,
and have a background in creative practice or industry.
• Engage in service to the school, college, university, community, and profession.
Eligible applicants will have:
• An MFA or MDes degree in Communication Design, Visual Communications, Graphic Design, Interactive Design, or related discipline completed before September 2017.
• A record of professional accomplishments in one or more research/creative activities within one or more of the following areas: information design, design culture, human-centric design, authorship, design entrepreneurship, or specific applied aspects of design such as packaging or brand experience.
• Demonstrated knowledge of strong conceptual and design-based principles applied to communication and/or advertising design as they pertain to traditional and interactive media.
• Knowledge of and experience with computer-mediated technologies and core software applications relevant to the communication design discipline (e.g., Macintosh OS, Adobe Creative Suite).
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• The successful applicant will receive the appropriate rank and title based on university and department established standards. Appointment at the associate professor rank requires demonstrated excellence in teaching and service accomplishments and an established research record.
• In addition to the requirements for associate professor, appointment at the professor rank requires extensive and sustained record of quality research as well as an outstanding record of service, leadership, and willingness to mentor junior faculty.
Preference will be given to candidates who have the following:
• One or more years of successful university-level (undergraduate and/or graduate) teaching not including a graduate teaching assistantship.
• One or more years of professional experience in design and/or advertising for national/international clients that demonstrate the ability to define, research, design and implement a brand experience, moving across all channels of communication.
• Curriculum development for the communication design discipline.
• Online teaching experience.
• Service-related activities in undergraduate and graduate design program(s), or professional organization(s).
• Graduate-level research/thesis supervision and advising experience.
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/19338.
A complete application will consist of:
1. Letter of application stating how your experience and credentials fulfill the requirements of the position and to which rank you are applying (not to exceed 2 pages).
2. Curriculum vitae.
3. Up to 20 digital files representing ten of your design works (may include time-based excerpts no longer than five minutes each).
4. Digital files of 10 student works created under your direction.
5. An annotated list for both personal and student files. For personal work, state title, media, and date. For student work, provide course title, media, date, and assignment.
6. A statement addressing your current creative work in relationship to the future of the communication design discipline (one page maximum).
7. Contact information (e-mail address, phone numbers) for 3 current references.
Search finalist will be asked to provide photocopies of graduate transcripts. The candidate selected for hire will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree granting Universities.
Examples of web/video/animation/motion graphics must be listed as hyperlinks within the PDF file and link to portfolio web sites or video sharing sites such as Vimeo. Do not upload motion graphics files.
All correspondence regarding the search will be conducted via email. Please send any inquires to firstname.lastname@example.org and include job number #2010071FAC in all correspondence.
Proposed Start Date: Fall 2017
Review Date: 04/01/2017
Open Until Filled? Yes
Texas State University, to the extent not in conflict with federal or state law, prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System. Texas State University is an EOE.
Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Media File
- Digital Files (Students Work)
- Digital Files (Personal Creative Works)
- Annotated List
- Statement of Artistic Philosophy
- DD 214/DD1300
- Veteran's Preference