Director of Human Resources
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Management or equivalent; minimum 5 years HR experience with increasing scope and responsibility, preferably in higher education.
Purpose of Job
The Director of Human Resources is accountable for the development, implementation and administration of all phases of human resources for all the employees of the university including but not limited to employment, compensation, employee services, benefit administration, legal compliance. This full-time, exempt position reports to the Vice-President of Finance and Administrative Services.
Scope of Responsibilities
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for Strategic Planning, Organizational Development and Effectiveness, retention/engagement and employee development, facilitation, Compensation/Total Rewards, and Positive Employee Relations/Engagement.
• Provides counsel and advice to management on a broad range of human resources issues as they relate to business processes, policies, and strategic growth plans.
• Provides leadership for various Human Resources projects and initiatives at the divisional and executive level.
Essential Job Functions
• Provides service oriented leadership and effective delivery of the human resources services to all employees;
• Keeps up-to-date on new developments, regulations and laws governing employment, wages, hours, etc. and applies as required.
• Ensures university compliance with federal and state employment laws as well as other compliance requirements.
• Directs and supervises the duties and responsibilities of the human resources staff and student employees.
• Updates and communicates university employment policies and procedures.
• Oversees the HR function, benefit administration, retirement, unemployment, FMLA, ADA, and worker’s compensation responsibilities.
• Responds to all EEOC claims.
• Handles Employee Relations issues; grievances, employee complaints, discrimination/harassment charges.
• Assists IHL attorneys in responding to Worker’s Compensation and other legal claims made against ASU.
• Prepares reports for Open Records Requests.
• Assists hiring managers to prepare disciplinary correspondence and provides counsel for employment actions on a daily basis.
• Assists HR Employment Specialist in responding to Unemployment Claims.
• Works along with the Physical Plant Manager to ensure safety compliance.
• Works along with the Athletics Department to ensure compliance with SACS/NCAA guidelines as it relates to employment.
• Assists in recruitment, hiring, orientation, and retention.
• Prepares job descriptions for senior level administrators.
• Verifies employment for senior level administrators.
• Ensures that proper employment forms and documents are available for use by university employees.
• Prepares standard offer letters for university; employment agreements; and performs background checks.
• Plans, coordinates and directs special projects; and implement new products and services as needed.
• Reviews the university’s insurance benefits contracts and agreements.
• Assesses benefits administration component of HR to identify areas for improvement or the need for improved benefits.
• Provides employees with benefit information and timely enrollment in plans and programs.
• Coordinates informational programs, educational workshops, and in-service training.
• Coordinates employment related events and recognition opportunities.
• Prepares H1B documents and monitors employment status of alien employees.
• Provides information to assist in decision making and preparation of the HR budget.
• Responsible for the submission of reports to IHL and various legal entities (MDES, DOL) on a quarterly, monthly and/or annual basis.
• Works with the Director of Institutional Research & Planning for data collection and completion of surveys.
• Represents Alcorn State at various meetings and conferences.
• May perform other related duties as assigned directly by VP for Finance and Administrative Services.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• BS Degree in HR or related field and 5 years related experience required.
• Master’s degree or equivalent work experience including supervisory experience preferred.
• Knowledge and understanding of employment law and other federal and state regulations as they apply to human resources, IHL, and the university.
• Knowledge and understanding of a variety of programs including but not limited to health insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, unemployment compensation, worker’s compensation, etc.
• Knowledge and skill in use of computers and software common to human resources profession.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing and to develop and deliver presentations.
• Committed to servant leadership and continuous learning.
• Ability to relate to the mission and guiding principles of Alcorn State University.
• Friendly, outgoing, while absolutely capable of dealing with and guarding confidential information.