At Stony Brook Medicine, our Grounds Workers are responsible for maintaining the appearance and condition of grounds, athletics fields, walkways, and roads at State facilities.
Qualified candidates should demonstrate excellent intrapersonal skills and time management skills. They should have attention to detail and be able to work with all levels of the organization
Duties of a Grounds Worker may include the following but are not limited to:
Maintains the appearance and conditions of grounds at State facilities.
- Cleans grounds by sweeping, raking, shoveling and removing debris, leaves, branches, etc.
- Clears sites and prepares them for planting by raking, tilling soil, adding mulch and digging.
- Plants seeds, bushes, trees, etc. using hand or power equipment.
- Cuts grass using lawnmowers; fertilizes and waters grounds; prunes bushes and trees; removes or transplants bushes or trees.
- Removes dead trees by cutting and splitting logs using chainsaws, sledge hammers and wedges.
- Loads trucks with debris, logs, dirt, etc. using hand or power equipment.
- May construct, repair or paint fences.
- Breaks up concrete to repair holes using hand or power equipment.
- Mixes and applies concrete and asphalt for patches.
- Removes trash and debris from roads, walkways and parking lots by sweeping and shoveling by hand.
- Removes snow and ice from walkways by shoveling and operating snow removal equipment.
- Plows roads and parking lots with trucks and tractors.
- Mixes salt, sand, and calcium for use on walkways and roads and spreads by hand or power equipment.
- Cuts and rakes grass as required.
- Resods, and repairs damaged areas of fields.
- Checks the correct operation of water sprinkler systems, and reports deficiencies to higher level staff.
- Lines and prepares fields for athletic events.
- May be assigned to apply pesticides or fertilizer in accordance with State pesticide application regulations.
- Cuts glass to replace broken panes and adjusts slipped panes.
- Cleans, flushes, and repairs gutters and drains.
- Glazes and paints sashes to preserve, protect, and seal out moisture and cold.
- Oils ventilating mechanisms.
- Sterilizes pots in preparation for planting, mixes soils used for planting, and plants and transplants seedlings.
- Unloads and records supplies used in greenhouse and inventories greenhouse production.
- Performs basic repairs, as necessary, and refers more involved repair to higher level staff.
May perform a variety of manual tasks in support of the building and grounds program.
- Sets up and removes snow fences and markers at fire hydrants and catch basins.
- Performs routine building maintenance work and minor maintenance on tools and power machines.
- Loads and unloads trucks and moves furniture.
- Shovels, digs ditches, and installs signs.
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
Non-competitive: must be physically able to perform the tasks of the position and to communicate effectively to obtain and convey information.*
*When required to operate motor vehicles, candidates must possess a valid New York State Driver's License appropriate for the type of vehicle operated.
*As determined by the State agency or campus, some positions may be required to possess
appropriate license or certification to apply pesticides, herbicides and other treatments.
Preferred Qualifications: Previous experience working in a hospital setting and/or in the hospital industry. Possess excellent intrapersonal skills, time management skills, have attention to detail and be able to work with all levels of the organization.All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: Grounds Worker
Job Field: Other
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Hospital-Grounds Maintenance-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 6:00-2:30pmHospital-Grounds Maintenance-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Mar 6, 2017
Posting End Date: Mar 20, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG6