ASSOCIATE VICE PRESIDENT FOR BUSINESS AND FINANCIAL AFFAIRS
Note: This job announcement has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required or assigned to an employee in this position.
ASSOCIATE VICE PRESIDENT FOR BUSINESS & FINANCIAL AFFAIRS
This position is responsible for assisting the Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs in the administration of the Division of Business and Financial Affairs to include, Administrative Services, Budgets and Contracts, Office of the Controller, Endowment Office, Office of Human Resources, Facilities and Management Services, and Public Safety. The ideal candidate for this position will be a strategic partner of the President and Senior Team, must believe in the mission of the College, be a visionary, and creative
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the Spelman College's operating cash flows, ensuring that sufficient cash is on hand to pay the College's obligations, including payroll and related liabilities, periodic debt service requirements, and operating expenditures. Invest College's excess operating cash in order to maximize return on College's assets
- Function as liaison in coordination with the Office of the Controller with Spelman College's external audit firms in the annual audit of the College's general purpose and A-133 financial statements, ensuring that deadlines are met, that all information required to complete the audits is provided to the auditors and that all issues are resolved, so that the College will receive unqualified opinions on its financial statements
- Prepare reports such as Moody’s annual update, NACUBO benchmarking surveys, U.S. and World News Reports
- Review and approve all payments for operating expenditures over a predetermined threshold prior to release by College and review and approve purchase requisitions in the Banner Purchasing queue, prior to the preparation of a Spelman College Purchase Order
- Review the division’s procedures to ensure that the most efficient systems are employed in order to maximize efficiency and productivity
- Manage the Spelman College debt portfolio to ensure that all principal and interest payments are made in a timely manner, and recorded properly in the College's general ledger and that the proper amounts are maintained with the various trustees
- Develop required information for the financing of capital projects approved by the Board of Trustees, including drafting College disclosures, and working with the College's investment bankers, College counsel, and other parties to ensure successful financing
- Assist with the closing of the College's financial records at year end, ensuring that all required entries are made, so that College's financial statements are fairly stated in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, all accounts are reconciled, and that College's financial statements are prepared in a manner consistent with the highest possible moral, ethical, legal and professional standards. This includes the preparation of the financial statements and all related notes
- Prepare periodic financial and other reports to governmental agencies, bond rating agencies and other external parties, ensuring that all information required to be provided in accordance with bond agreements and other regulatory requirements is complete. Supervise preparation of periodic interim financial statements for Board of Trustees, management, and other interested parties
- Prepare information for College's tax accountants, so that the College's 990 and 990T information returns can be prepared. This includes accumulating information such as K-1s, preparation of trial balances for tax returns, and completion of questionnaires
- Manage, along with the VP and Treasurer and Controller, Spelman College's banking relationships
- Work with other Spelman College departments in terms of resolution of interdepartmental issues and problems. Provide guidance to the Spelman College community with respect to the College's travel programs
- Manage Spelman College relationships with various external organizations, such as travel agencies. Manage the College's relationships, along with the Director of Administrative Support Services, with the various telecommunications firms employed by the College for equipment, local, long distance, and cellular communications
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice-President for Business and Financial Affairs and Treasurer, including attendance at meetings of endowment managers, AU Center meetings, attendance at Board of Trustees meetings
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree with a major in Accounting is required. Additionally, 15 years of related financial managerial experience is required. Master’s degree in Business Administration is required and a CPA certificate is preferred.
Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a diverse group of people and organizations are essential. The incumbent must have excellent knowledge of financial accounting and reporting for private colleges, analytical and problem -solving skills, and the ability to think in a strategic manner. Strong management abilities are also required.
Excellent oral communication skills are required when presenting information and responding to questions from internal and external customers in one-on-one or group situations. Incumbent must be able to write business correspondence plus compose memos, letters, and e-mails. Also, must be able to read, analyze, and interpret documents such as annual reports, business and accounting periodicals, and safety rules.
This position has supervisory responsibilities for one or more positions in the department. This does not include work study students.
Certificate, Licenses, Registrations
CPA Certificate Preferred
Qualified individuals are encouraged to visit our website and apply via our online application: www.spelman.edu. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package and a campus environment filled with unique opportunities and experiences.
Spelman College is an EOE/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Title IX Employer and we participate in E-Verify.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE