Safety & Security Officer (Three positions), #S03855
Safety & Security Officer (Three Positions)
S03855, S03962, S03964
Takoma Park/Silver Spring
$19.95 - $27.00 per hour
Online applications must be received by Monday, March 20, 2017.
Montgomery College, Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus, Office of Public Safety, has need for three full-time, Safety & Security Officers. The normal work schedule is 5 consecutive days, on 1 of these shifts: 6:45am-3:15pm; 2:45pm-11:15pm; 10:45pm-7:15am.
The safety and security officer is responsible for performing a variety of duties to ensure a safe and secure environment for the College community as well as facilitating the efficient and safe execution of College functions and activities. Contacts and interactions vary and may involve multiple constituencies such as first responders from outside agencies (police/fire), members of the College community, students, vendors and the public, for the purpose of providing information, service and assistance.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Patrols campus parking lots and surrounding grounds/facilities, noting dangers (potential and existing), defects or violations.
- Enforces parking policies through issuance of parking tickets and towing of autos when necessary.
- Observes, identifies and responds to safety and security incidents and situations as well as acts as a deterrent to crime and other unlawful activity by providing high visibility throughout the campus.
- Responds to emergencies and suspicious activity, investigates incidents and prepares reports.
- Conducts thorough security and safety checks of assigned College facilities, to include checking for open doors, windows, and/or other unsafe conditions.
- Documents violations of College policies and complete incident reports.
- Responds to complaints/calls related to possible criminal activity, coordinate with applicable authorities if necessary, and prepare incident reports.
- Investigates complaints made by faculty, staff, or students on campus.
- Locks and unlocks campus buildings and offices as necessary as well as lockdown of campus buildings during emergency conditions and campus closings.
- Controls personnel/visitor access and track activities where applicable.
- Responds to emergency calls for assistance, including medical emergencies.
- Administers first aid and/or call for additional assistance as needed.
- Work closely with outside agencies (police and fire) on matters relating to the safety and security of the College community.
- High school diploma or GED, and any combination of education, training, and experience providing understanding of the field and the ability to perform the duties of the job.
- One year of continuous security experience at a higher education institution or two years of experience as a security officer
- Valid driver's license and evidence of a good driving record.
- The following certifications are required: first aid, HAZMAT, CPR, and automated external defibrillator (AED).
- Knowledge of the methods, procedures, and practices of building and area security.
- Knowledge of all applicable federal and state laws, College rules and regulations and departmental policies as they relate to safety/security, basic emergency management, and other related protocol.
- Knowledge of fire hazards, first aid methods/application, radio communications, and electronic monitoring/alarm equipment and systems.
- Skill in operating ticket writing machines.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion as well as function decisively and authoritatively in emergency situations.
- Ability to effectively interact with hostile individuals and avoid escalation of encounters.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work cooperatively with others as well as communicate effectively (verbally and in writing), and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Basic ability to operate a personal computer, including familiarity with standard office and data applications used by the College.
- Ability to perform building and area safety and security work, including patrolling College grounds individually or in a vehicle.
- Ability to participate in hazardous material (Haz-Mat) training and perform related required tasks
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- 5 years Campus Policing or public safety experience
- Prior sworn law enforcement in Maryland or military law enforcement experience
- A.A. degree or 5 years of work experience
Application Process :
- Online applications must be received by Monday, March 20, 2017 .
- To apply, please visit http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment .
- The application process includes 10 steps.
- Step 10 is a Summary of your information. You can update and edit information up to the closing date for the receipt of applications for a specific job announcement.
- For consideration, you must:
- Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
- Complete a set of pre-screening questions (Step 4); and
- E-sign your application. (Step 9)
Failure to complete the pre-screening questions or to e-sign your application will automatically result in your elimination from consideration for this position.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire :
- Successful completion of a background check
- Participation in a retirement plan
- Submission of an official transcript of the degree required for the position
Note: This recruitment effort can take 6-12 weeks (from the deadline date) to fill.
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace.
For disability- related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance.
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.
Job Facilities, Maintenance & Security
Primary Location US-MD-Takoma Park/Silver Spring
Organization Facilities Administration
Job Posting Mar 6, 2017, 12:00:00 AM
Unposting Date Mar 20, 2017, 11:59:00 PM