The Trades Services division of Facilities Management is seeking a Pipefitter to join our team. This position functions as a journey level Pipefitter in the Facilities Operations Pipe Trades Shop. The primary focus of the position will be journey level pipefitting and steamfitting work and to support plumbing and civil utilities piping systems on an as needed basis.
We are seeking a customer-oriented person with solid communication and interpersonal skills, who is able to take direction and collaborate with a team. This person will work in conjunction with the other FM trade groups, as well as project managers, outside consultants, and engineering groups.
This full-time position offers excellent benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid sick time and holidays, retirement, and flex schedules.
Who we are:
Facilities Management is responsible for the overall physical development, maintenance and operation of the campus. The mission of the department is to provide a safe physical environment that promotes the advancement and transfer of knowledge. This position resides in the Pipes Shop. We offer competitive wages, flex schedules, health insurance, paid vacation time, sick time, and holidays. Trades Services provides a challenging and dynamic work environment that is focused on our customers and our employees.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Perform work on hydronic systems (heating water systems, chilled water systems, condenser water systems) in the Campus' buildings and within the Campus' distribution system. The work includes installing, replacing or repairing pipe and components within the systems, analyzing and solving hydronic system problems, defining hydronic system operational parameters and functioning as an authority on the operation, configuration and condition of hydronic systems within the Campus.
- Perform work on steam systems in the Campus' buildings and within the Campus' distribution system. These systems are comprised of the 135 pound high pressure distribution system, medium pressure process systems, low pressure building systems and all related condensate system piping. The work includes installing, replacing or repairing pipe and components within the systems, analyzing and solving steam system problems, defining steam system operational parameters and functioning as an authority on operation, configuration and condition of steam systems within the Campus.
- Perform work on process piping systems and components. These systems include compressed air systems, vacuum systems, specialty water systems (deionized, reverse osmosis, distilled water systems) and natural gas systems. The work includes installing, replacing or repairing pipe and components within the systems, analyzing and solving process piping system problems, defining process piping system operational parameters and functioning as an authority on the operation, configuration and condition of process piping systems within the Campus.
- Provide support for projects; these projects may include small remodel projects, renewal and replacement projects, large capital projects and other similar projects. This duty may include reviewing project documents (drawings, specifications, component submittals and requests for information) reviewing outage notification requests, performing outages related to projects and performing quality assurance inspections.
What you should know:
- This position, as all positions within the work unit, is designated "essential services." The incumbent is required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies (snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event) and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
- Lifting requirements for this position are designated as "heavy." The incumbent will be required to exert in excess of 100 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
- This position may be required to work alternative shifts; for example, 3:30 pm - 12 am or 7:30 am - 4 pm Tuesday - Saturday.
What we can offer:
Monthly Salary: $4,823 and is NON-NEGOTIABLE.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado, Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be resourceful. Be driven. Be impactful. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Must be a current Colorado resident in order to apply.
- Four years of progressively responsible pipefitting experience, working with 135 pound steam systems and components.
- Candidate must possess a City of Denver steamfitter's license upon hire.
- Must pass a criminal and motor vehicle background check.
- Must possess a valid, unrestricted Colorado driver's license.
- Must be willing and able to exert in excess of 100 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
What you will need:
- Ability to work well within a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
What we'd like you to have:
- Extensive experience and training in all areas of mechanical systems, boilers, chillers, steam systems.
- Certified welder.
- Completion of a formal apprenticeship as a pipefitter, with an 8,000 hour minimum field time, and 4 years of class time would be preferred.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by Monday March 20, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-08629. PI97115320
Please do not upload references at this time. Specal instructions and information for Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10492 - Facilities Management
Posting Date: Mar 6, 2017
Closing Date: Mar 20, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00107422