Commencement Coordinator (Part-time) - Office of the President
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
The commencement coordinator is a member of the University Events staff with primary responsibility for organizing and managing all of the commencement events and assisting in the planning and implementation of events related to fall and spring commencement weeks (e.g school-based events, baccalaureate and alumni initiation) and summer hooding events. The aim of this event planning and coordination is to provide the graduate and all guests with an outstanding APU and University College experience upon completion of their degree requirements. The individual works with the Office of the Provost and the Commencement Coordinating Committee members and their offices to plan and implement the events. The Commencement Coordinator is responsible for the commencement budget and for managing, the budget related to any other assigned events. The individual works with other offices and academic departments to create a comprehensive commencement and/or event experience for the students, faculty and/or parents and university guests that reflects positively on the university and its mission. The Commencement Coordinator participates in the planning and implementation of other university events throughout the year as designated by the Director of University Events.
- Bachelors Degree required.
- 3-5 years of commencement or event planning experience.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Participates in the planning and execution of university and school-based events that under the auspices of the Department of University Events. Serves as primary event planner for all commencement related events.
- Collaborates with administrative personnel to deliver events following the desired specifications of a department, office or school.
- Develops strategic collaborative relationships with a variety of departments on campus to execute university events.
- Contracts and works with outside vendors to execute university events.
- Manages events within assigned budgets.
Commencement-Related Duties (not a comprehensive list):
- Works with the Office of the Provost and the Commencement Coordinating Committee to plan the Commencement ceremonies each year, including all related school and department events. Assigns tasks to the team.
- Meets regularly with designee of Office of the Provost to plan events.
- Schedules and attends Commencement Coordinating Committee meetings.
- Reserves the facilities for each event, including parking facilities used at Citrus College or other venues.
- Rents all of the necessary equipment for the events including the stage, stage cover, choir platforms, chairs, ropes, signs, restrooms, tables and other materials.
- Works with Facilities Management to coordinate housekeeping and maintenance services for the events.
- Coordinates the media requirements and rental equipment with IMT Media Services.
- Works with Hospitality Services to plan for the food for the events.
- Manages the setup of the events with Event Services, Campus Facilities and University Events.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.