Assistant/Associate Dean of Admission & Coordinator of Multicultural Recruitment--Colgate University
Colgate University, a highly selective, residential liberal arts university located in the picturesque central New York village of Hamilton, announces its search for an Assistant/Associate Dean of Admission and Coordinator of Multicultural Recruitment.
Considered one of the nation's most beautiful campuses, Colgate takes pride in the active engagement of its students, and their outstanding scholarship in our local, national and global communities. With 2,900 undergraduates, it is one of the largest national liberal arts colleges. Admission to the university is highly competitive, with approximately 8,500 candidates applying each year. The university has enjoyed significant success in attracting students from diverse backgrounds; applications from multicultural students have led to a student body with 21.2 percent domestic students of color.
Colgate's Office of Admission is a warmly supportive team: from first-year admission counselors to the Dean, there is an open-door culture and sense that no job is too big or too small for anyone. Responsibilities ranging from travel planning to application reading to event planning are executed in small teams that allow for leadership opportunities and professional development across the department. Like all admission officers, the new Assistant/Associate Dean will travel up to 10 weeks per year to recruit students and represent the University, interview prospective students, conduct engaging information sessions, build relationships with high school counselors and community based organizations, thoughtfully manage recruitment territories, read and evaluate applications for admission, use relevant technology to aid and inform the work, attend and organize a variety of events for prospective and admitted students, and partner with colleagues across the University.
As the Coordinator of Multicultural Recruitment, the new Assistant/Associate Dean will take a leadership role in communicating, recruiting, and enrolling underrepresented students. It is particularly important that he/she is able to clearly articulate the values and benefits of a liberal arts education and the opportunities that are available to students at Colgate in ways that are compelling and relevant to underrepresented, urban, and first-generation populations. He/she needs to be empathetic and supportive, as well as, strategic and analytical in his/her approach. The entire admission team is dedicated to access and multiculturalism, and consciously works towards supporting those aims, so the new coordinator will be far from alone in his/her endeavors. Aiding to these efforts is a dedicated financial aid staff and institutional policy of meeting 100% of demonstrated need for all admitted students.
Support for and the retention of underrepresented students is a Colgate-wide commitment. Brian Casey, currently in his first year as President of Colgate, has made inclusion and equity a priority for the University and an institution-wide evaluation is underway. The Coordinator of Multicultural Recruitment will partner with a number of colleagues across campus, but especially with The Director of First Generation Initiatives and the Office of Undergraduate Studies (OUS), a four-year program that provides support for students who have prevailed in the face of personal, economic, educational, cultural, or social challenges.
The ideal candidate is:
- A thoughtful, collaborative, positive, energetic, and supportive colleague
- A compelling writer and public speaker who can engage audiences from small groups to large crowds
- Able to connect with a broad range of students and their parents, as well as, colleagues through a variety of means
- A thorough and creative event planner
- Able and willing to travel to recruit students and represent Colgate University for up to ten weeks per year
- Strategic and analytical, as well as, warm and customer-service oriented in approach
- Responsible, self-aware, professional, and appropriate with colleagues and students
- A thoughtful, creative, and transparent problem solver and decision maker
- Demonstrated ability to manage confidential information pertaining to application review and other admission initiatives
The ideal candidate has:
- A Bachelor’s Degree, minimally
- Experience in and enthusiasm for admission work and its cyclical nature
- A deep appreciation for and understanding of a liberal arts education and a deft ability to articulately communicate the values and benefits of a liberal arts education
- Understanding of and ability to provide input on, the recruitment and enrollment strategy for the multicultural population
- A strong network of and rapport with high school counselors and community based organizations contacts
- A current valid driver's license and passport eligibility is required
- Fluency in another language, preferred
A resume, cover letter, list of references, and responses to supplemental questions (which will be sent upon expression of interest) are required to apply.
A full position description may be found: https://www.carneysandoe.com/career/colgate-university-ny-assistantassociate-dean-admission-coordinator-multicultural-recruitment-2017-posted-12317