Grounds Manager (Administrator II), Grounds Maintenance, Recruitment 2934
This is a full-time management (MPP) position. MPP employees serve at the pleasure of the campus President. MPPs do not serve a probationary period and never receive permanent status.
This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Salary Range and Max Salary
Review of applications will begin 02/27/2017, and the position will remain open until filled. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Conditions of Employment
Possession of a valid Driver's License is required. Employees in this position will be enrolled in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Government Employer Pull Notice Program which confirms possession of a valid driver's license and reflects driving record.
Employment is contingent upon candidate passing a pre-employment physical exam with the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Due to the nature of this position, the successful candidate is required to complete a background check prior to assuming this position.
Campus Marketing Statement
California State University, Dominguez Hills, was established in 1960 and is one of the 23 campuses that comprise The California State University system. CSU Dominguez Hills is an urban, comprehensive public university that serves a culturally rich, diverse student body of over 12,500 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Located on a 346-acre site in the South Bay portion of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area, CSU Dominguez Hills has a highly pluralistic student body, which includes a significant number of non-traditional, working adult students as well as approximately 2,000 students enrolled in distance learning programs statewide. The University, with its five Academic Colleges, has more than 300 full-time faculty members and is situated in an area characterized by an extraordinary heterogeneity of people, and an extensive array of high technology industries and professional services.
Department Marketing Statement
Department: Facilities Services
Physical Plant is responsible for the design, construction, upkeep, repair and maintenance of State owned and operated building space and grounds at the University, totaling in excess of 1,250,000 gross square feet of building space, including 346 acres of grounds, 50% in active use. The mission is to provide an aesthetically appealing, well-maintained, safe and comfortable physical environment conducive to learning and work. Major Duties Under the general direction of the Director of Facilities Services, the incumbent directs the University Grounds department by implementing effective management practices to achieve the goal of maintaining an aesthetically pleasing and safe environment for university students, faculty/staff, and guests. This position is a working manager that oversees and coordinates the work of a grounds staff of 18+ individuals who maintain and upkeep the main campus grounds, parking areas and athletic fields. Work is performed under minimal direction. The incumbent determines, develops, recommends and implements sound solutions to complex problems that may impact several functional areas. The position will plan and organize the day-to-day operation of the Grounds department, ensuring the effective and efficient allocation of labor, materials, and equipment using methods that reflect accountability and high quality work. The incumbent will provide input in determining annual budgets and ensuring that best practices are used in managing departmental budgets. Responsibilities also include management of the campus Recycling Program, establishing landscape maintenance and project priorities, procuring all materials and contacts for services, personnel management duties, and other administrative duties.
Required Education: Bachelor's degree in horticulture, park management, or a related field.
Preferred Education: Advanced degree in a related field.
Required Experience: Five years of experience managing a department that maintains the grounds for a large institutional facility, golf course or municipal park.
Preferred Experience: Master's degree in a landscape related field plus eight years of management experience at a large landscape related operation.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of methods, materials, and equipment necessary for landscape maintenance, including sports turf management, pest management, irrigation management, and arboriculture.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret landscape plans and organize complex landscape projects using common horticultural practices.
- Knowledge of methods and procedures necessary in the development, maintenance, and construction of NCAA Division II athletic facilities.
- Excellent personnel management skills. Comprehensive knowledge of effective personnel management practices and supervisory skills, including recruitment, training, performance assessment including establishment and monitoring of goals and objectives, motivation and professional development, corrective actions and progressive discipline.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Understand and ability to interpret the complexities of Collective Bargaining contracts, negotiation, grievance procedures, and associated labor laws/statutes.
- Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism as well as establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with clientele such as students, staff, faculty and co-workers.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Experience working with contractors, vendors and building professionals.
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate for the duties of the position and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of safety in the work place and ability to observe safety requirements and safe work practices and methods as required.
- Excellent time-management, planning, and organizational skills and ability to multi-task, while attending to detail, and meet the demands of multiple deadlines. Ability to adapt to organizational, procedural, policy, and technological changes.
- Maintain high quality/standards of work, leadership, ethics, commitment, and professional responsibility and judgment. Ability to represent the University and its interests in a professional and conscientious manner.
- Ability to work independently with little instruction, take initiative, and utilize creative problem solving.¿ Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
Additional Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Pest Control Advisor's License (CA DPR)
- Qualified Applicator Certificate (CA DPR)
- Arborist Certification (ISA)
Certification: Valid Drivers License
Specialized Materials: The position activities may require the use of the following equipment, machinery, tools, vehicles or office equipment:
Personal computer, photocopier, fax, calculator, multi-line telephone, 2-way radio and other standard office equipment; and may operate automobiles or electric carts in the course and scope of the position.
40% - Directly supervise, assign, schedule, establish priorities, and review daily work assignments for approximately 18 staff including Lead Grounds Workers, Grounds Workers, Irrigation Specialist, Gardening Specialist, Equipment Operators and Recycling Coordinator. Inspect work and complete written performance evaluations for all assigned staff. Foster a culture of service excellence and serve as a role model and mentor to motivate staff to improve their quality and responsiveness of service. Provide and establish required and recommended trainings for all assigned staff in the areas of daily facility operations, safety, and procedures. Serve as Hiring manager on the committees for the recruitment and selection of staff. Administer progressive discipline as necessary for assigned staff. Review and oversee employee workers compensation claims and compliance with work restrictions. Assure compliance with the collective bargaining agreement.
35% - Implement and monitor University, department and unit policies and procedures. Assure quality standards are implemented for the landscape functions within Facilities Services and perform area inspections. Evaluate supplies and equipment needs and prepare written specifications. Assess the needs of each individual based on daily area assignment to provide optimal services. Work with customers to determine needs/expectations are being met. Make recommendations for equipment and landscape purchases including ordering supplies and services, approving invoices, tracking purchases on spreadsheets, working with vendors, and gathering cost information. Maintain the accounting, storage and condition of landscape equipment and vehicles for their designated areas. Participate in strategic planning for the campus landscape. Provides recommendations for long and short term goals. Administers work with outside contractors Assures completion of projects in a timely, efficient, economical, and consistent manner. Coordinates with other trades in Facilities Services on projects relating to landscaping. Coordinates Facility Services' involvement with events such as Presidential events, Athletic Events, and Commencement.
15% - Report and review employee work injuries. Assure information is reported completely and accurately. Counsel employees as needed in safe work process and practices. Report unsafe conditions and take appropriate steps to correct those conditions. Utilize facilities maintenance software to review work orders and preventative maintenance schedules. Report daily time and attendance to administrative support staff for payroll and tracking.
10% - Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned. Attend training and maintain skill currency as appropriate to safely and effectively complete assignments.
How To Apply, go to:
To apply for this posting (Non-CSUDH Employees):
Step 1: Select and read the qualifications for the position you are interested in
Step 2: Click 'Apply Now' at the bottom of the screen
Step 3: Login or Register (Create Username and Password)
Step 4: Select apply with or without resume
Step 5: Provide contact information and answer required questions
Step 6: Click 'Submit'
California State University, Dominguez Hills, is an equal employment opportunity employer, and is strongly committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce. The University actively encourages applications of all qualified individuals.
California State University Dominguez Hills is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status. For more information or definition of these terms please visit, http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/Supplement_English.pdf
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may call the Human Resources Office at (310) 243-3771 or the Academic Affairs Personnel Services Office at (310) 243-3766.
Clery Act crime statistics for CSUDH are available at http://www.csudh.edu/dhpd/dhpd.htm, or by calling University Police at (310) 243-3639.
Upon appointment all candidates must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.