Director of Educational & Research Technology Services
Academic Computing Services at Hofstra is responsible for supporting faculty and students in their use of technology in instruction, learning, and research. Its mission is to provide leadership in the strategic use of technology to support faculty and students; provide a highly reliable technology infrastructure; and to consistently provide a very high level of support in teaching, learning, research and scholarly activities. Support includes:
- Developing, in collaboration with faculty, a vision of how Hofstra University’s teaching learning and scholarly activities are to be supported by technology and related technical services.
- Working with faculty to integrate technology into the curriculum and provide expertise in the application of emerging technologies.
- Providing leadership in identifying new technologies of interest to faculty.
- Providing training on topics of interest to faculty to promote the use of technology.
- Providing expert consulting and support in key areas of technology of relevance to research and related grant opportunities.
- Supporting students use of advanced software by providing, through Learning Support, tutors to assist students.
- Providing technical support for software and hardware used in the classroom.
- Serving as the faculty and student advocate in all Information Technology Department operational and planning decisions.
- Collaborate across disciplines and build strong relationships with faculty and administration.
- Navigate complex budgetary and staffing challenges to provide creative solutions while being a responsible steward of University resources.
The Director of Educational & Research Technology Services reports to the Vice President for Information Technology and works collaboratively with the other units within the Information Technology Department. The Director is responsible for 15 full time staff members comprised of instructional designers, instructional technologists, student computing service managers, and approximately 20 student assistants. The Director is also responsible for the management of the Educational Technology Center, Student Services such as the Technical Support Center, Learning Support and Repair Center, and student printing (PridePrint). The Director will also be involved in overseeing two open access labs and working collaboratively with other teams and schools in overseeing technology equipped classrooms and teaching labs throughout the campus.
The Director works closely with the Senate Committee on Academic Computing, and technology committees of the individual colleges, which serve in an advisory role to the Information Technology Department on the technology needs of the Hofstra faculty and students.
- Higher Education experience required with teaching experience preferred.
- Administrative experience in higher education preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to provide customer-centric technical support.
- A thorough understanding of the technologies appropriate for use in higher education teaching, learning, and scholarship.
- Successful candidates must possess strong leadership and management skills, have demonstrated experience managing technology projects, and have strong skills in the use of technology in the classroom and online.
- Experience with Learning Management Systems and Databases.
- Proven skills in managing staff, budgets, and complex projects.
- Advanced degree required. Terminal degree strongly preferred.
- Involvement in academic technology organizations such as EDUCAUSE and NERCOMP.
For consideration, please send your resume to email@example.com. Please include a cover letter outlining your vision for using technology to support the teaching, learning and scholarship of a university. Also, please include your compensation requirements in your letter.
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.