Posting Date March 10, 2016
Position Title Web Developer
Vacancy # V-1115
Department Information Technology
Program Information Technology
Division Academic Affairs
Montclair State University (MSU) is implementing a host of new applications and technologies, including new Finance (PeopleSoft), Student (Banner), and HR (WorkDay) systems, to enable our rapidly growing campus and academic programs. We are recruiting for a number of positions to strengthen the IT team supporting this environment.
Under the direction of the AVP, Enterprise Application Services for Information Technology, the Web Developer develops Internet and intranet applications for use within Information Technology and the campus at large. Performs requirements analysis and technical planning in the design and implementation of secure applications in a multi-platform client/server environment. Audits and analyzes systems performance, stability, and security measures and makes recommendations for hardware and software upgrades. Performs related duties as assigned, necessary, or requested by management.
- Develops client/server applications to meet the business and operational requirements for the Information Technology Division.
- Consults with the AVP, Enterprise Application Systems to perform and/or assist the technical support staff in the installation and deployment of applications according to baseline security measures and appropriate operation and functionality practices.
- Adheres to industry and university best practices for application design and deployment and leverages open standards development tools, languages, and libraries whenever possible.
- Develops programs, command procedures and scripts to enhance the functionality and manageability of supported systems.
- Evaluates program goals, operations and performance as required; develops and implements alternative procedures to improve performance and meet program objectives.
- Consults with the AVP, Enterprise Application Services on the most unusual problems or policy matters.
- Maintains integrity and appropriate confidentiality in Institutional and program operations.
- Contributes to the preparation of studies and reports containing findings and recommendations for the implementation of application software to meet the needs of the various users.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and cooperative working relationships with the Institutions administrators, faculty and staff, government, and private agencies in order to accomplish the objectives of the Information Technology Division.
- Develops appropriate communication with user community to insure transfer of operational, procedural, and policy information.
- Works with the project managers and internal clients to develop plans and verify requirements for software applications that generate the need for changes in the information technology infrastructure.
- Evaluates and recommends hardware and/or software to meet current and future needs for application development and/or application testing.
- Represents the university at conferences, seminars or meeting as required.
- Serves on ad hoc and standing committees as required.
- Performs other functions consistent with the job title as necessary and as directed by the AVP of Enterprise Application Services.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, preferred. However, applicants with extensive applicable experience in the related field will also be considered.
- Four years of professional experience in systems programming with knowledge of procedural and object-oriented programming languages such as Java Standard Edition, Java Enterprise Edition, PHP, C, and C++.
- Knowledge of web services such as HTML, XML, JSON, JSP, Java servlets and servlet containers, and database technologies such as mySQL, Postgres, Oracle, MS-SQL, ODBC and JDBC as well as LDAP protocol.
- Understanding of operating systems including: Unix/Linux, Windows 2003/2008, and MacOS.
- Working knowledge of data, Internet and local area network security practices and procedures.
- Ability to maintain a Best Practices approach to design, development, and testing of production quality software applications, and ability to architect such applications according to established security policies.
- Ability to prepare clear and detailed documentation and correspondence.
- Ability to represent the university at conferences and seminars.
- Ability to establish cooperative working relationships and coordinate programs with other offices or organizations that impact or relate to work of the program or unit.
- Experience in higher education or other field experience that is directly related to the functions of the position.
- Knowledge of middleware and scripting languages including: Bourne shell, Perl, PHP, Windows Power shell, sed/awk, and AppleScript.
- Understanding of internet standard protocols like TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, IMAP/POP, and of proprietary networking protocols like DECnet, Appletalk, and SPX/IPX.
- Knowledge of encryption technologies such as PGP, SSH, and SSL/TLS, and the ability to leverage those technologies in standalone or web based applications.
Commensurate with Experience
Anticipated Start Date June 2016
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When submitting a resume and cover letter, please combine the documents into one single document (PDF or MS Word) via the apply link.*
Apply By Open until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION