Head Cook 1
Posting Date October 17, 2016
Position Title Head Cook 1
Vacancy # VC- 358
Department NJ School of Conservation
Program Academic Affairs
Division Academic Affairs
Under the general supervision of the Director or Associate Director in a state institution or agency, has the responsibility for the supervision, preparation, and cooking of food in an institution kitchen generally serving more than 1000 persons; does related work as required such as:
- Assign and instructs cooks and other food service personnel, and supervises the performance of their work.
- Sees that proper standards of sanitation, housekeeping, and safety are maintained within the food preparation, cooking, and service areas at all times, and instructs assigned personnel in proper practices and procedures.
- Prepares requisitions for food and other kitchen equipment and supplies, and sees that these are properly stored, distributed, prepared, recorded, and used.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
Five (5) years of experience as a cook involved in the preparation of all kinds of food in large quantities in the kitchen of a club, hotel, restaurant, hospital, or institution, and which shall have included three (3) years of supervisory experience in a position embracing responsibility for all phases of kitchen management.
- Knowledge of food quality standards and methods for maintaining them in large quantity food preparation and service operations.
- Knowledge and skill in supervising a staff of cooks and food service personnel engaged in preparing meals for large numbers of persons.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, or communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
R16: $41,230.15 - $58,006.69
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Create profile with resume and cover letter as one (1) attachment and submit to:
Apply By Open until filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION