DIRECTOR, CLINICAL RESEARCH FINANCE
Duties: The Director of Clinical Research Finance is an integral member of the Office of Clinical Research (OCR) in the Perelman School of Medicine and has a direct reporting relationship to the Executive Director of OCR and the Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Research.
The Director will:
1) Direct the creation and facilitation of effective and efficient financial operations for the administration of clinical research Penn Medicine wide from financial contract execution, the financial feasibility, account set-up, daily/monthly clinical administration, award closeout and reporting.
2) Develop and maintain reporting methodologies to assess the financial impact of clinical research on Penn Medicine including the assessment of downstream clinical revenue and expense at all Penn Medicine clinical sites and its impact on the financial position of Penn Medicine. Interact with key stakeholders (Penn Medicine Finance, Patient Accounting, and Business Development) as well as finance leadership in PSOM clinical departments.
3) Lead the planning and implementation of PennChart 2017 research finance platform and the integration of a Clinical Trials Management System with UPHS IT and UPHS Finance Leaders. The initiative includes the comprehensive management of the operational and financial administration of clinical trials ensuring all transactions are captured and analyzed for regular reporting and planning purposes. Ensure that all processes are compliant with Federal (CMS, OCR, FDA, OHRPP) and institutional policies and procedures.
4) Develop standards & templates for consistency in budgeting across all PSOM departments, centers and institutes conducting clinical research to increase financial stability and facilitate clinical research processes. Hold Clinical Departments accountable to original budget expectations.
5) Lead and direct the OCR Finance Manager and staff to establish procedures for effective monitoring of patient enrollment, cash position (A/R) and overall appropriate study expenditures through to close out and residual transfer if applicable.
6) Oversee the financial health of clinical trial activity within Penn Medicine. Report to Senior Leadership with annual plan including multi-year forecasts, including overall clinical trial activities, level of faculty engagement, ranges of sponsorship, etc.
7) Responsible for execution and maintenance of research financial and compliance training for Clinical Trials administration throughout Penn Medicine.
8) Ensure financial compliance with institutional, federal and non-federal policy, rules and regulations.
9) Provide leadership and direction for the financial training and professional development to Departmental BAs and OCR Finance Unit.
Qualifications: The minimum of a Bachelor's degree and at least seven to ten years of experience in one or more of the following areas: clinical operations, hospital and professional billing, grants management and finance or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Master's degree preferred. Demonstrated success in project management and team building. Knowledge of medical terminology and experience in clinical trials management. Advance understanding of Medicare National Coverage Determination Policy. Excellent communication and effective writing skills are a must. EPIC experience preferred
Reference Number: 40-25196
Salary Grade: 029
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: SM-DN-Office of Clinical Research
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: B-Executive/Managerial Administration