Associate Director of Accouting & finance
Associate Director of Accounting & Finance
Student Union, Inc. of SJSU
The Student Union, Inc. is a non-profit corporation with an operating budget of $11 million dollars serving the 31,000 students of San Jose State University and the San Jose community. The Student Union Corporation operates through student fees that students assess themselves each semester to pay for the annual construction bond on all the facilities as well as supporting the operational costs for these facilities. No state money (tax dollars) is used for construction or operation of any of the Student Union’s facilities. The Student Union Corporation consists of several facilities on the SJSU campus, including the Diaz Compean Student Union building, the Event Center/Sport Club and the much-anticipated recreation complex. When the new recreational facility comes online, the Student Union will manage and operate over 560,000 square feet.
The Student Union, Inc. facilities and programs include the following: meeting and conference facilities, a Bowling Center, bookstore and food services (Spartan Shops), Student Union Theater, several student-centered departments, a 4,200-seat arena, a Sport Club, Intramurals, Open Recreation program, Outdoor Adventures and 29 Club Sport teams.
The new Spartan Recreation and Aquatic Center is projected to open in spring of 2019. This facility will have various fitness areas, studios, rock and bouldering wall, indoor running track, locker rooms, MAC court, basketball courts, recreational pool, and a competitive 50-meter pool.
The Student Union Corporation invests in the wellbeing of San José State University students to be socially responsible leaders and productive individuals who meet the challenges of an ever-changing world. To learn more about the Student Union Corporation, please visit our webpage at http://www.sjsu.edu/studentunion/.
Under the general direction of the Executive Director, the Associate Director of Accounting and Finance (ADAF) is one of 6 direct reports to the Executive Director. The Associate Director manages the business services departments with 2 managers and a total of 3 fulltime staff, not including 10-15 student employees. The Associate Director supervises the professional accounting, auditing, budgeting, risk management, contractual and treasury related functions for all operations of the Student Union, Inc. The ADAF personally performs complex tasks with a high degree of judgement and skill in order to find solutions to financial challenges and concerns. The ADAF works with the Executive Director to advise and make recommendations to the Finance Committee, the Student Union Board, and the staff of the Corporation. This position creates and updates fiscal policies and procedures to maintain the financial integrity of each department and therefore the corporation. This position will be responsible for assessing the new business functionality needs of the accounting and finance area as the needs of the organization grows.
- Financial Services
- Risk Management
- Corporate Records
- Subleases for the corporation - coordinates and works with the Executive Director.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Thorough knowledge of accounting practices, principles and procedures.
- Knowledge and experience with computerized accounting and budgeting systems.
- Excellent skills with excel spreadsheets and proficient knowledge of other basic programs.
- Ability to effectively supervises and direct others.
- Ability to work effectively with managers of other departments, students, the campus community, the Executive Director and the Board of Directors, and the Chancellor’s Office
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to recognize areas of concerns, evaluate the concerns, and make appropriate recommendations.
- Effectively plan work assignments, both short and long term.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Requires a CPA or graduate degree in a related field with 5 years of experience in controller functions, budgeting, accounting, auditing, forecasting and analysis; or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business Administration/Management and seven years’ experience with an emphasis in controller functions, budgeting, accounting, auditing, forecasting and analysis.
- Two years of management/supervisory experience for a major accounting department for a large company, or a complex accounting operation for a small organization including hiring, employee development, writing performance evaluations and employment termination.
This position is exempt from the provisions of Section 1 of the California Industrial Welfare Commission Orders.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job announcement, please visit https://www.applitrack.com/sjsu/onlineapp/ for the full job description and to apply. Only online applications will be accepted and reviewed.