Assistant Dean and Director of Global Fellowships & Awards
Grinnell College seeks applications and nominations for an Assistant Dean and Director of Global Fellowships and Awards. As part of the senior leadership team in the Center for Careers, Life, and Service (CLS), the Assistant Dean and Director provides overall direction for and management of Grinnell’s competitive national fellowship operation. In addition to counseling, mentoring, and preparing students and alumni, the Assistant Dean and Director manages the internal application and nomination processes (developing criteria, setting timelines, and orchestrating nomination committees) and guides students and alumni, faculty advisers, and recommenders through these varied application processes. This position also oversees the selection process for several internal, Grinnell-specific awards.
Reporting to the Daniel and Patricia Jipp Finkelman Dean in the CLS, the Assistant Dean and Director works closely with faculty, staff, and administrators across the College to identify, recruit, prepare, and select applicants and nominees for a range of competitive scholarships and awards. Additionally, the Assistant Dean and Director will work in close collaboration with colleagues in the CLS and across the broader campus community to crystalize the notion that a career—toward which fellowships may be one starting point—encompasses one’s professional, civic, and personal aspirations.
The ideal candidate must possess a master’s degree and 4–6 years of academic or professional experience, ideally with previous work in a liberal arts college setting. Familiarity with college student development and the career development process is preferred. Successful applicants will have demonstrated experience taking initiative and seeking out creative ways to counsel and advise a community of diverse students, including the development of new and innovative program ideas to enrich and engage students across the College.
Experience studying abroad—preferably at the graduate level—or conducting research abroad is preferred. Previous involvement with the National Association of Fellowship Advisors is also ideal. In addition, the Assistant Dean and Director will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to interact effectively with constituents across all levels of the College community as well as with external representatives of scholarship programs and foundations.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, communication, counseling, advising, and presentation skills.
- Superb writing and editing skills.
- Strong analytical skills for reviewing student academic records, grade reports, course curricula, degree plans, majors and sequences, and transcripts.
- Strong information technology/computer skills; familiarity with scholarship and fellowship application websites and systems.
- Ability to counsel, advise, and mentor students on a myriad of graduate scholarship and fellowship opportunities.
- Knowledge of government rules, regulations, guidelines, and procedures related to undergraduate and graduate scholarship and fellowship programs.
- Excellent organizational, time-management, and planning skills.
- Ability to prioritize work with competing deadlines and to work under tight deadlines with no possibility for extensions.
Application Process: Please submit applications online by visiting our application website at https://jobs.grinnell.edu. Review of applications will begin Thursday, March 23, 2017. Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled. Please contact the Office of Human Resources at (641) 269-4818 with questions.
Selected candidates will need to successfully pass a background check prior to first day of employment.