Director of Information Technology (1084)
This position is responsible for supervising the use of technology across the campus of Fort Hays State University, and will work collaboratively to create an environment that enables students and employees to use technology creatively and confidently in learning, research, operations, instruction, administration, and service. The position will provide innovative solutions, reliable systems, and college-wide balance and perspective for technology through planning and service. Technology Services includes telecommunications, administrative technology, server and network operations, helpdesk, application development, media services, theatre operations, classroom and computer lab support.
The Director of Information Technology is the leader of technology services on campus and serves as the University's chief information officer and representative on statewide groups.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: June 1, 2017
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 7, 2017 for priority consideration. Applications accepted until position filled.
SALARY: Salary commensurate with experience.
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
- A master's degree is required.
- Successful track record of at least ten years in an IT/IS management position in an organization of comparable or larger size and complexity. Broad knowledge of administrative and instructional technologies in higher education required.
- Experience or knowledge in the following areas is preferred: network planning & infrastructure; internet services; online education support; media services technology; instructional technology, enterprise resource planning, and application development.
- Demonstrated skills in organizational leadership, internal and external communication and management of staff with varied skill levels and assignments. Ability to coordinate the daily operations of a large, complex unit.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to have a positive and productive working relationship with co-workers, university personnel and students.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the information services and technology functions across campus (both locally and internationally).
- Manages on-going and new projects for the entire department. Researches new technology to ensure it fits within the university computing structure and budget, and implement technology as needed.
- Works with campus constituents to identify new technology requirements, to design new computer and telecommunications systems and modifications to existing systems, and to coordinate implementation.
- Serves on President's Cabinet and attends meetings as needed to represent the University and report on technology services activities, implementation and planning activities.
- Supervises operations for each area, including, but not limited to, functions such as administrative tasks, help desk operations, end-user hardware and software support, information security and backups, telecommunications services, computer labs, theatre operations, media services, and enterprise system support.
- Responsible for development and management of departmental budget(s).
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please send by email a single PDF file of: (1) A letter of application addressing the candidate’s interest in and qualifications for the position; (2) resume; (3) the names and contact information for at least three professional references to email@example.com, Fort Hays State University, Department of Human Resources, 600 Park Street, Hays, KS 67601. Please include the Position Title in the subject line.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact Debbie Storer at firstname.lastname@example.org; questions about the position can be directed to Greg Farley at email@example.com.
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
ABOUT HAYS, KS:
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.