Associate Vice President for Finance and Controller
The University of St. Thomas seeks an accomplished and visionary financial leader for the position of Associate Vice President for Finance and Controller.
The key objectives and responsibilities of the AVP and Controller include:
- External audit, Form 990/990-T and general accounting. Oversee the annual external audit, including single audit of federal funds and preparation of the audit report. Lead the annual closing process, decisions as to the treatment of various financial issues and coordination with the CFO, staff accountants, and external auditors. The audit report is used by donors, bondholders, banks, rating agencies (Moody's), government agencies, and others to judge the financial strength of the University. This task includes following generally accepted accounting principles, and presenting information in a clear, concise, and fair manner. Coordination of the preparation of the University's annual IRS Form 990/990T information returns and establishing policies and procedures to ensure compliance with state and federal tax laws.
- Financial reporting and analysis. Develop and oversee financial reports, dashboards, and key performance indicators to executive management, deans and vice presidents, financial managers, and others on a monthly and an ad hoc basis. Monthly reports currently include departmental revenue and expense, endowment funds, restricted and capital (equipment) funds. Special purpose reports include, capital project financing plans, projections for new programs, cash flow projections with present value discounting options, and buy vs. lease analyses.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term care, legal, and disability insurance coverages. Offerings also include retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, and an employee assistance program. The University provides tuition remission to its employees, spouses, and dependents. In addition, the University values a healthy work/life balance and has generous provisions for paid time off.
The University of St. Thomas is seeking a committed and experienced professional with proven leadership skills in a complex environment.
Candidates with higher education experience are preferred. Specific qualifications include:
- Intellectually inquisitive
- Strategic ability
- Change leader
- Strong manager
- Effective communicator
- Customer focus
- Effective implementer
- Exceptional personal qualities
Technical skills, experience and training:
- A Bachelor's Degree in accounting or finance, a CPA certification, and seven (7) years of professional accounting experience, three (3) years of which were in a managerial/supervisory role. Higher education experience preferred.
- Knowledge of: Principles and practices of nonprofit accounting, general fund accounting, including methods of financial auditing, reporting and financial statement preparation; contract negotiation; employee management including selection, work planning, organization, performance review and evaluation, training and discipline; developing teams, motivating employees and managing in a team environment; applicable laws, codes and regulations; computer applications related to the work; records management.
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website. If you are viewing this posting from a site other than “Jobs at St. Thomas”, the University assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer