Student Services Specialist – Student Equity
El Camino College
Student Services Specialist – Student Equity
Close Date: 03/15/2017
Complete job description and application available online at: https://elcamino.igreentree.com/css_classified
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform specialized duties in an assigned student services area such as EOPS, student affairs, evaluations, disabled student services or other assigned area; recommend action regarding the status of students and represent assigned program to other student services.
• Perform a variety of specialized paraprofessional duties to provide services to students in an assigned student services area.
• Provide specialized information and technical assistance to students regarding transfer and graduation requirements, student activities and available programs and services.
• Interpret, apply and explain complex rules regulations, requirements and restrictions related to assigned student services area; refer students to other student services as appropriate; recommend action regarding student applications for the assigned program or service.
• Answer questions and serve as technical resource to students, instructors and others in assigned area of student services.
• Communicate with other District departments and personnel, educational institutions, community organizations and other outside organizations and agencies to exchange information and coordinate activities.
• Maintain various records and files related to students and specialized functions of assigned area; compile information for reports as required.
• Train and provide work direction to student assistants and other personnel as assigned; assign and review work; participate in selection and evaluation processes as requested.
• Prepare and process forms, applications and other documents according to established program requirements and College policies.
• Operate a PC or computer terminal to update records, input data, generate reports and verify student information; assure accuracy and completeness of data.
• Operate a variety of office equipment such as typewriter, computer terminal, calculator and copier. Maintain current knowledge of rules, regulations, policies and legislation concerning the assignment. Perform related duties as assigned.
• Functions, operations and activities of an assigned area of student services. Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.Record-keeping techniques.
• Oral and written communication skills.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary. Telephone techniques and etiquette. .
• Applicable sections of State Education Code and other applicable laws. Principles and practices of training and providing work direction. • Technical aspects of field of specialty.
• Perform specialized paraprofessional duties in an assigned area of student services.
• Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures related to a specialized area of student services.
• Train and provide work direction to others.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Type at an acceptable rate of speed.
• Work independently with little direction.
• Maintain records and prepare reports.
• Work confidentially with discretion.
• Meet schedules and time lines.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination equivalent to: two years of college-level course work in social science, human services or a related field and two years of increasingly responsible experience in a related student services program.
• Office setting.
• Some travel may be required.
• Hand and finger dexterity to operate various office equipment. Days and hours may vary.
• Additional hours may be required.
SALARY RANGE $4,246 to $5,447 per month.
Employees contribute 6% - 7% of their earnings toward the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
This position is designated as a full-time, twelve-month classified. Excellent fringe benefits include eight 32- hour workweeks during the summer. Working hours will be Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Employment is contingent upon satisfactory employment verification, fingerprint check, and tuberculosis examination. The selected candidate must provide identification and work authorization. Physical standards for this position are available for review in Human Resources.
Applicants must submit the following documents by the closing date: 1) Online application: https://elcamino.igreentree.com/css_classified
2) Resume – Resumes are NOT accepted in place of any part of the application and you should complete all sections of the application even if the entries duplicate information on your resume.
3) Pertinent transcripts (only in pdf format) as stated in the job qualifications if applicant holds one. (Unofficial computer-generated academic records/transcripts must include the name of the institution and degrees awarded to be acceptable.) Multiple page transcripts must be loaded as ONE pdf document.
Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States of America require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA.
Applicants with disabilities requiring special accommodations must contact Human Resources at least five (5) working days prior to the final filing date.
If you should need assistance please call (310) 660-3593 Ext. 3807 or visit the office between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
CLOSING DATE: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 3:00 p.m.
El Camino College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The El Camino Community College District provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity or sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.