Director of Diverse Alumni Engagement
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA)*, the private fundraising and alumni relations organization for UW-Madison, is recruiting for an experienced professional to serve as Director of Diverse Alumni Engagement. This individual will lead efforts to increase and deepen the engagement of the diverse UW alumni community with the university and with each other by providing opportunities to contribute time, talent and counsel; enriching the alumni experience for diverse alumni communities and their allies and supporting WFAA and UW-Madison diversity and inclusion efforts.
The Director of Diverse Alumni Engagement will be a key member of the program team in the alumni relations and engagement division. This position supports the division’s work to inform alumni and donors, meaningfully connect them with the university and with each other, and inspire their support for the university. The Director will work closely with other program staff in alumni relations and engagement, as well as colleagues in the marketing, communications and development divisions. The Director will collaborate with campus partners in the Division of Diversity, Equity and Educational Achievement and other units.
*The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is the “doing business as” name of the merged organization comprising the University of Wisconsin Foundation (www.supportuw.org) and the Wisconsin Alumni Association (www.uwalumni.com), whose legal corporate name is registered as the University of Wisconsin Foundation.
Primary responsibilities include:
Develop, lead and facilitate opportunities to increase engagement among diverse alumni and allies.
- Design and deliver meaningful opportunities to increase participation, volunteerism and interaction among diverse alumni communities, including alumni of color and LGBTQ alumni and alumni allies.
- Collaborate with WFAA development and campus colleagues on engagement strategies and advancement priorities with diverse alumni.
Develop, sustain and serve as WFAA liaison to diverse alumni communities and ally and networks.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan to build relationships and connectedness with diverse alumni and allies, and foster alumni networks in key geographic areas.
- Facilitate and serve as the WFAA liaison to self-organized, diverse alumni volunteer groups.
Collaborate with campus partners to connect diverse alumni and allies with students and campus diversity initiatives.
- Collaborate with campus partners who lead UW diversity and inclusion efforts within the student population, and serve as a liaison and leader for parallel work with diverse alumni.
- Lead and participate in the planning and delivery of collaborative engagement events which engage diverse alumni and allies and connect them with diverse students.
Serve as an organizational resource and consultant for engagement design / other duties.
- Collaborate with WFAA colleagues and apply expertise to continually improve inclusiveness of marketing, communication, programming and other engagement activity.
- Perform other duties in support of the organizational mission and university advancement.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred in education, marketing, communication, organizational development, non-profit leadership or related field.
- Minimum 5 years’ professional experience in program development, constituent / community relations, volunteer management, or marketing / communications.
- Understanding of critical issues, challenges and opportunities relative to diversity in higher education.
- Demonstrated success with building effective, collaborative relationships with colleagues and diverse constituents and leveraging those relationships for successful outcomes.
- Demonstrated success engaging diverse constituent populations through programs, events, volunteer activities and/or advocacy efforts.
- Demonstrated success with fostering and sustaining diverse constituent networks.
- Ability to translate thought leadership into actionable strategies and to successfully execute tactics in support of strategies and objectives.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with co-workers, campus and community partners, and alumni constituents to achieve shared objectives.
- Experience and familiarity with UW-Madison is highly desirable, and preference will be given to UW-Madison alumni.
This is a challenging, exciting and meaningful full-time position and reports to a Vice President, Alumni Relations and Engagement. We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefit program.
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume in a single attachment to:
Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin on March 31, 2017.
Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association
Statement of Diversity and Inclusivity
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is committed to building an inclusive community free of social bias and exclusion. At WFAA, diversity and inclusion are rooted in the organization’s core values, which are woven into the fabric of our culture. WFAA recognizes the value of diversity in persons and in perspectives; values people and the differences that they bring to the organization; and creates an environment in which all staff members feel respected personally and professionally, and have opportunities in which to thrive.
The range of programs and initiatives to which our work contributes, spans every facet of life on campus and in the world community. From working with scientists studying the most basic elements of life to talking with alumni and donors inspired to support life-changing programs or areas of the University, our work is fundamentally diverse.
Just as the work done on campus benefits from differing viewpoints, perspectives and experiences, WFAA recognizes inclusion and diversity as imperative for the success of its mission. As an equal opportunity employer, attracting, developing and retaining the best employees gives WFAA access to new ideas, promotes better decision making and creates a working environment that promotes mutual respect, cooperation, acceptance and productivity among people from varying backgrounds.