Extension Educator, Educator - Dairy - Branch County w/Statewide Responsibilities
Michigan State University has been working to advance the common good with uncommon will for more than 150 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU focuses its vast resources and collaborative power on creating solutions to some of the world’s most pressing challenges, while providing life-changing opportunities to a vibrant and diverse community of students and scholars, athletes and artists, scientists and leaders.
Posting Number: 4356
Internal Posting Date: 11-03-2016
Internal Closing Date: 04-20-2017
External Closing Date: 04-20-2017
Review of Applications begins on:
Job Title: Extension Educator
Multiple Position Numbers:
Multiple Position Numbers: No
Major Administrative Unit/College: Michigan State University Extension
Primary Department: 10058940 EXTENSION AGRICULTURE AND AGRIBUSINESS
Position Employee Group: Fixed Term Academic Staff-FAS
Appointment Basis: Annual Year, 12 months
Appointment Status: Fixed Term Academic Staff
Employment %: 100
Varied Work Hours (if applicable):
Limited Term/Flexible Appointment/Off-Date Information:
Faculty: Salary Range Support Staff: Pay Minimum
If flex, dates of annual flex leave:
Pay Grade Level:
Position Summary: As part of MSU Extension (MSUE) and the Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute, this position will provide local as well as statewide leadership and educational programming expertise in dairy production with specialized emphasis based on the selected person's training and experience. The position will be located in Branch County, serving southern Michigan. The selected individual will be a member of the dynamic and progressive Dairy workgroup and serve as a regional point of contact, yet with both local and statewide focus. They will collaborate across work teams, Institutes and stakeholder groups, and work with faculty, specialists and educators for the overall advancement of the Michigan dairy industry. This position reports to the Director of the Agriculture and Agriculture Business Institute.
* Develop, conduct and evaluate innovative educational programs that meet current and projected needs;
* Work with faculty and Extension staff to develop and implement applied research efforts to meet the needs of clientele;
* Communicate and interact with stakeholder groups to evaluate the needs of the clientele;
* Serve as an information resource to clientele, partners and Extension staff;
* Collaborate with MSU Extension staff to conduct and evaluate and report programming efforts;
* Represent MSU Extension and the Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute at local, state and national levels;
* Author, produce and submit regular research-based educational materials including but not limited to articles, bulletins, videos, etc.;
* Actively participate in professional development opportunities;
* Regularly engage with producers and stakeholders individually and in groups;
* Develop an expertise that fits within the Dairy Team goals and will be shared statewide and can be shared nationally;
* Work with Extension Dairy Team to develop resources for Extension efforts;
* Work to ensure that educational needs assessments, program development and recruitment efforts include the engagement of Michigan's diverse residents across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences;
* Understand and implement Civil Rights policies and procedures.
Faculty: Minimum Qualifications Support Staff: Minimum Requirements * Master's degree from an accredited institution in a field of study related to Dairy Science, Animal Science, Agriculture Engineering or comparable discipline must be earned by date of hire;
* Ability to create and carry-out a project plan from research of initial concept to project completion and follow-up;
* Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
* Experience and proven ability working productively with a team;
* Proficiency in use of technology for day-to-day work and educational program delivery, record keeping, reporting, team-based communications and overall management;
* Willingness to serve and grow into leadership positions within the MSU Dairy Team, university system and professional organizations;
* Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse network of constituents and stakeholder members across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences to assist with program development and outreach;
* Understanding of and ability to implement Civil Rights principles and compliance standards;
* Experience in Extension program delivery or demonstrated ability and skill in educational program planning, implementation and evaluation (relevant experience acquired within the last 5-years preferred);
* Demonstrated success in program development and delivery to diverse audiences/communities including but not limited to race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences;
* Ability to regularly travel within the assigned area and surrounding communities, as well as statewide in order to perform duties of this position;
* Ability to lift and carry educational materials, equipment, etc. up to 25 lbs.
Typing Requirements (wpm):
Desired Qualifications: * Fluency in reading, writing and speaking a language in addition to English, desired - Spanish preferred.
Summary of Health Risks and Physical Demands (if applicable):
Required Applicant Documents: Resume/CV
Optional Applicant Documents: Other Document
Other Document 2
Other Document 3
Number of Reference Letters Required: No letters required
Special Instructions to Applicants: Similar position is also available in Ottawa County. Interested applicants should search and apply for posting #4357.
This position is a full-time, end-dated appointment renewable annually based upon successful performance and continued funding.
Applicants should include the names and contact information, including email addresses, of four professional references with the cover letter.
Department Website Address: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT6-ln6jWBk
Name/Title/Email Address of Search Committee Chair:
If flex, dates of annual flex leave:
If flexible appointment, indicate end date of annual flex leave:
If flex, number of months worked per year:
Web Address for Posting: jobs.msu.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=69250
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.